News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

You have extra cash, room in the garage, wife says ok, what are you getting?

Started by chrisntam, November 18, 2018, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut48843

Without hesitation.... '65 Eldorado.   Just need to find the right one.   I'm looking to be the caretaker of one for the next 20-25 years (my guesstimated driving future), then find someone to take on that role for the next similar time period; someone who will preserve it, and not rod it, chop it, bag it and so on.

That said, I'm interested in something other than a red, white or black exterior, and very pristine to concourse condition.  While I'm very mechanically and electrically / electronically adept, I just don't want to do any ongoing wrenching, rebuilding of motors, rewiring, having gauges and radio and other components repaired, etc.  Just a beauty to drive, appreciate, take to car shows (I love to go to car shows) and generally look after.
Les Gyori

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Carnut48843 on January 02, 2019, 05:33:40 PM
Without hesitation.... '65 Eldorado.   Just need to find the right one.   I'm looking to be the caretaker of one for the next 20-25 years (my guesstimated driving future), then find someone to take on that role for the next similar time period; someone who will preserve it, and not rod it, chop it, bag it and so on.

That said, I'm interested in something other than a red, white or black exterior, and very pristine to concourse condition.  While I'm very mechanically and electrically / electronically adept, I just don't want to do any ongoing wrenching, rebuilding of motors, rewiring, having gauges and radio and other components repaired, etc.  Just a beauty to drive, appreciate, take to car shows (I love to go to car shows) and generally look after.

Save my contact info if you want one of mine in a year or so :)  Have a Peacock Firemist '65 Eldo with buckets, currently a driver. 

Would like a '59 Eldo one of these days :)  Family wants another '69 Limo.
Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: LateOutDrsMn on December 03, 2018, 01:42:00 AM
My Caddy list
1. 57 Eldorado Brougham (turn key)
2. 56 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible (blue turnkey just like the one I saw at mecum)
When house is ready, I have both for sale, just in case!
A small problem however: I'm located in Switzerland.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carnut48843

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on January 03, 2019, 12:07:41 AM
Save my contact info if you want one of mine in a year or so :)  Have a Peacock Firemist '65 Eldo with buckets, currently a driver. 

Would like a '59 Eldo one of these days :)  Family wants another '69 Limo.
Chuck

Will do!   Likewise let me know if you decide to move your timetable forward.

Les
Les Gyori

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: nysdarkblue on December 08, 2018, 06:24:18 PM
Hi, a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham and a 1956 Fleetwood to compliment my 1990 Brougham.

Yes, a '93 - '95 Fltwd Brghm (in a fairly-light color) really appeals to me.. but I am inexplicably afraid of their complexities (?)
Are they really more complex than the '90 - '92 Fltwd Brghms ? ?

Scot Minesinger

Maynard Krebs,

The 93-96 Fleetwoods were not complex.  I drove a 1995 Fleetwood to 254k miles with no troubles and only sold it because it did not seem wise to use a 10 year old car with a quarter million miles on it.  It really was a wonderful and most favorite daily driver car.  The Chevy drive train made it simple, and it was a top performer that enjoyed good gas mileage.  I drove this during my 30's and my friends would get in for the first time and ask why I bought an old person car.  I would floor it and that was the end of that.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Maynard Krebs

Scot, Thanks for that input.   What is the typical price range for these... to get a good one?

Scot Minesinger

My info on what a nice 93-96 Fleetwood might sell for is from e-bay and what I see around.  You might get lucky and find one with 70k or less miles for 8k, but more typically the nice ones are past 12k.  BTW buy a 94-96, the 93 does not have the LT1 engine.  My 1995 was a fast car, and that was one reason I liked it so much.

Maynard Krebs

Well, Scot; some folks prefer the '93.. 'cause it doesn't have the expensive ignition systems that the '94 - '96 have.   But I know what you mean:  I miss the massive torque that I had in a couple of my 1960s "heavyweights".. long ago.

I won't buy anything later than a '95... because here in the People's Republic of TAXachusetts, '95s and older don't have to pass emission testing:  just safety.

Just to show how we're all different:  I would have kept that '95 RWD Fltwd you had.. for 'many moons'.   I'm just not intimidated by high accumulated mileage in a car that I know.. that I've had for a long time.   "It takes all kinds..."

Scot Minesinger

Maynard,

I would have kept the 1995 Fleetwood except no place to park it and no time to deal with another vehicle, a common collector car issue.  I own six cars now, and at one time 8, all parked on my primary residence property. 

You have to own a late model reliable pick up (snow and hauling vehicle), a modern daily driver sedan, and a car for the college kid(s).  I own 3 1970 Cadillacs.  Four classics is too many for me.  It is a challenge to drive all six of them frequently enough that they stay in good reliable condition.  Plus I can always go and buy a 1995 Fleetwood tomorrow if I had the space and time - maybe when the youngest graduates college and leaves the nest.  Probably I'm good though, time is the primary limiting factor.

The problem with high mileage is not the engine and trans, it is the electrical parts, wheel bearings, brake cylinders/pistons, and all the little stuff that take a car off the road - not a great idea to use as a daily driver unless you spend countless hours and $ on precautionary work.  A breakdown costs me $1,000 plus the cost of repairs.

MaR

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on January 05, 2019, 09:33:31 PM
Yes, a '93 - '95 Fltwd Brghm (in a fairly-light color) really appeals to me.. but I am inexplicably afraid of their complexities (?)
Are they really more complex than the '90 - '92 Fltwd Brghms ? ?
Nope, I have owned both.