News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldo convertible

Started by badpoints, October 20, 2023, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badpoints

Would it make financial sense to restore this car even if it was free? The guy is selling three Eldorados.
https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d/east-bridgewater-1974-cadillac-eldorado/7678300910.html

KOKNEYELDO

Many "Sellers" say it was working when it was parked, which usually means there was a problem.

From the limited photos you can see extensive rust, plus many parts have been stripped.

If the convertible top and the dashboards are not torn and cracked it would be worth buying.

I would assume there was big problem mechanically (and sat for years); however the price for a parts car seems reasonable.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

2011DTS

John,

The owner of Primo Classic in Florida takes all his cars to the Classoc Car Auction in Lakeland in January each year so there is always an opportunity to pay less then the sellers asking price. I have been multiple times. IMHO he did a little bit of Photoshopping to his photos on his web site, again just my opinion. That is a nice 1974, a little to nice, as the plastics and material in the mid seventies cars tended to show a little ware no matter how well they are taken care of. Also the rear lamp monitor is missing fromt the top of the back seat and that white top has no texture. If you enlarge the photo, it is almost impossible to not have texture in a convertible top and IMHO it is just a little to white. Also the wood insert is missing from the steering wheel. Again, if interested in a seventies convertible always take a trip to look at it in person a lot can be done to photos to make up short commings, and let me be clear I am not saying this car has short coming just giving my opinion.

billyoung

In my opinion after you track down all the missing trim and repair the body and new door panels and seat leather ETC. ETC. ETC. You will have much more in it than it is worth, even if gotten for free.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

benji808

I'm with Billy on this: Short answer is no - I don't think you'd ever see value out of restoring it. If you could get it for free and just wanted to spend a couple grand as a personal challenge to get it running I could see that, but it still wouldn't be worth much, and you'd likely lose money trying to sell it again.

Interior looks bad and you're not even seeing it all- could cost $10k+ to sort that even doing a fair bit of work yourself. Plan to replace everything under the hood plus possibly brake lines, fuel lines, maybe tank, etc.: $10k+ again, depending on if the engine needs rebuilt and if you can do that yourself. Then there's the body...can't see it all here but assuming "what you don't see is worse than what you do" I don't know if you could ever get that "right", but trying might cost more than the other two items combined.

My 2cents...