News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1962 Coupe DeVille valve cover gasket job - AC compressor bracket removal?

Started by ///Mink, May 06, 2020, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

///Mink

Hi all, first post here.  Last year I picked up a 1962 Coupe DeVille in basically stock condition.  I want to replace the valve cover gaskets, which seems like a simple job, doesn't it?  But looking at the right side, I obviously need to remove the AC compressor bracket to get the valve cover off.  The upper end is held on with a nut on the intake manifold, but the lower end is held on by two of the cylinder head bolts.  It seems like a very bad idea to me to remove cylinder head bolts to get the bracket off.  So what's the trick?  Sorry if this has been asked before...

35-709

Welcome, Tom.  If you are going to be working on your '62 may I strongly suggest you get a 1962 Cadillac Shop Manual.  Easy to find on eBay and reprints are available, but the originals usually have better quality illustrations.  Best of luck with that car, someone should be able to answer your question soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Cadillac-Service-Shop-Manual-Series-60-62-75-Cars-Commercial-Chassis/312466795211?hash=item48c078eacb:g:9A8AAOSw18BcXaH8
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

///Mink

Yep, I neglected to mention that I do have the shop manual.  Unfortunately it basically says something along the lines of "remove the compressor bracket"! 

Cadman-iac

Tom,
I'm not familiar with the 62 engine and accessories,  but I believe that it may have studs on the top of the head bolts. I've seen this on other GM vehicles, and I can't imagine that they would make the bracket sit under the head bolts.
I could be wrong about that,  but it's worth a look.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

///Mink

Wow...that seems like a bad design.  I was always told that the only time you remove a cylinder head bolt is when you're removing the head.  I really appreciate the info.

35-709

The joys of owning an older car.  Removing those head bolts won't hurt anything (you won't be running the engine), just make sure they are tightened back to the proper torque when you are finished.

Dan LeBlanc

The other 16 head bolts will keep it clamped down just fine while those two are out.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Anyone got a photo of what this looks like?  I'm guessing these heads must have quite a skirt around them to have an upper head bolt not under the valve cover?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

:)  Google says, "here, I got plenty!"