News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Access to fuel tank sender unit - 1947 Fleetwood

Started by MartinC, September 16, 2013, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinC

How do I get to the sender unit on the tank? Do I have to drop the tank or is there an access panel somewhere? I certainly can't locate any way to it, or even see it!

LeRoy DeVol

The fuel tank sender is on the top of the tank & you will have to drop the tank to have access to remove it. The original sender has cork as the float and over time the material erodes away. The new senders have a float made of copper & are much better.
When reinstalling the tank there is a rubber hose that connects the filler spout to the tank & if you need to replace it you have to make sure you get a hose designed for gas. If you use anything else you are looking for trouble. When I did mine I was able to find one at Napa Auto Parts, but the hose was longer & quite expensive.
Lee DeVol

MartinC

That's not good news! Thank you though. If I can locate the wire I'll test it electrically first although I imagine the cork has eroded as you say.
With the sender wire earthed the gauge should show full I imagine?

Coupe Deville

I think when you ground the wire the gauge should go to empty. If the gauge reads full even when you ground it or not that sounds like a wiring issue.I too have had a sending unit problem before.

Good luck

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"