News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any Flying Goddess info

Started by D. Mailan, January 11, 2024, 02:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Mailan

Hi everyone!

I am writing a paper for college. It a descriptive/informational essay that centers around a unique logo/symbol and talk about its provenance and symbolism. I decided to go with the flying goddess.

I am wondering if anyone has some interesting information about it that could be useful. There are some articles online. But any interesting things or stories about it would be helpful! Like why Cadillac chose it or who designed it? The history behind it? Stuff you've heard about it.

Anything really!

Thanks!
Derick

Clewisiii

A couple of years ago I was in the Cadillac design studio and looked to the side to see three new clay versions of the flying goddess.

I turned to the studio manager and asked if it was coming back. They said yes. But not as a good ornament. They embossed it into some side trim on the Cadillac Celestiq.

So not an old history story. But a closing topic.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Lexi

Quote from: D. Mailan on January 11, 2024, 02:09:40 PMHi everyone!

I am writing a paper for college. It a descriptive/informational essay that centers around a unique logo/symbol and talk about its provenance and symbolism. I decided to go with the flying goddess.

I am wondering if anyone has some interesting information about it that could be useful. There are some articles online. But any interesting things or stories about it would be helpful! Like why Cadillac chose it or who designed it? The history behind it? Stuff you've heard about it.

Anything really!

Thanks!
Derick

You may want to refer to Maurice Hendry's reference work on Cadillac, of which there was an expanded edition, Cadillac at 100 Legacy of Leadership, in 2 volumes. There is probably information in there on this. I think we can say that 1956 was the last year for the Cadillac Flying Goddess hood ornament, (except the Eldo models that year did not sport them). 1956 was the end of a lot of traditional Cadillac styling. By 1956 it's Flying Goddess has to rank as one of the longest stand alone hood ornaments. Perhaps even the longest? Not sure. That said many older cars had hood ornaments in which the "tail" joined with trim that went back to the windshield cowl area. In that event we may not wish to count that "tail section" as part of the length, expecially as many of these hood ornaments also acted as the hood unlocking mechanism. So they pivot up when pulled. The 1956 Cadillac Goddess stands alone, (no rear trim to cowl area), and it plays no part in opening the hood. So as a stand alone it is certainly a large one in length. Some may argue that the 1959 Cadillac Brougham resurrected the Flying Goddess. Upon close examination this hood ornament appears to be more of a jet age statement rather that an anotomical inspired one. Rather like some mid '50s Chevy hood ornaments that look more plane or bird like. 1956 Seems to be the end of the Flying Goddess as a Cadillac hood ornament. Hope some of this is of interest. Can see if I can measure mine if you like, (we're talking technical here). Clay/Lexi

Edit 1: GM also states that 1956 was the end of the Flying Goddess as a hood ornament. There is also a discussion of the Celestiq re-imaging, (but it is no longer a hood ornament as Carl noted). Check this web page out:

Edit 2: After checking out that new rendition of the Goddess on the Cadillac Celsetiq, I am totally smitten with it. So classy and a superb touch of class and elegance befitting a Cadillac. Check out the link below for images of it being sculpted. Almost wish I had one of these new Cadillacs just for that Goddess branding.

https://www.cadillac.com/celestiq/goddess

Barry M Wheeler #2189

One "story" about the 1930/31 V/16 lady was that she was purported to be saying with her hands to her head, "Oh my God, there goes that # 2 spark plug again!!!"

And one way to tell a "good" '41 goddess is that you should be able to see her bra. It has concentric circles.

One point you might wish to make is that all of the ladies have their chins thrust bravely into the wind, implying that nothing, but nothing better get in her way. By way of contrast, the R/R lady, The Spirit of Ecstasy, seems to be bowing to "whomever."

Best of luck. You might not have a lot of history, but use plenty of pictures.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on January 11, 2024, 10:17:24 PM...all of the ladies have their chins thrust bravely into the wind, implying that nothing, but nothing better get in her way. By way of contrast, the R/R lady, The Spirit of Ecstasy, seems to be bowing to "whomever."
Best of luck. You might not have a lot of history, but use plenty of pictures.

Exactly. Well said Barry. The Spirit of Ectasy is quite nice but no match for the Flying Godess. Anyhow, didn't Rolls Royce use variations of GM Hydramatic transmissions under licence in their cars, for about 15 years? Maybe that is why the Ectasy had her head bowed, (to Cadillac's greatness). Clay/Lexi

David King (kz78hy)

The last car with the hood Goddess was the limited production 1959 Eldorado Brougham, 99 cars produced.  It is very modern interpretation of the Goddess.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Lexi, had you heard that when R/R received the transmissions, they were aghast with the rough interior of the transmission cases. So, they polished them smooth. And soon found that they didn't work at all... They were supposed to be rough inside. (I hope my memory was correct about the this. It's been a while since I read this factoid.) Any correction is welcome.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on January 12, 2024, 09:43:58 PMLexi, had you heard that when R/R received the transmissions, they were aghast with the rough interior of the transmission cases. So, they polished them smooth. And soon found that they didn't work at all... They were supposed to be rough inside. (I hope my memory was correct about the this. It's been a while since I read this factoid.) Any correction is welcome.

Fascinating, though that is something that I have not heard. Wonder why it had to be rough? Possibly it had something that indirectly had an impact on hydraulic pressure? Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

You are correct Barry.   I heard that story decades ago.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Michael Petti

I heard that story long ago also. I believe it is true.

64\/54Cadillacking

I love the 56 extra long Goddess, I think she's absolutely beautiful!
I have one on display in my room that's how much I like her  ;)  :).

Honestly 1950's Cadillac ornamentation on its cars, are a work of art.
You could literally use a lot of its trim and emblems as art pieces for your home.

Everything from the bumpers, to the hood ornaments, and to all the excess chrome trim.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Lexi

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on January 17, 2024, 10:03:56 PMI love the 56 extra long Goddess, I think she's absolutely beautiful!
I have one on display in my room that's how much I like her  ;)  :).

Honestly 1950's Cadillac ornamentation on its cars, are a work of art.
You could literally use a lot of its trim and emblems as art pieces for your home.

Everything from the bumpers, to the hood ornaments, and to all the excess chrome trim.

As usual, I couldn't agree more 64\/54Cadillacking. You have impeccable taste. I have a '56 re-chromed Goddess on display in a brass curio cabinet. It was professionally mounted on an engraved acrylic pediment which makes it look like it is taking off. Looks like how they mount an old fighter jet on the grounds of an Air Force base. Also, I always wanted to incorporate a pair of those huge chrome rear fairing spears from a 1956 60 Special into a doorway as columns. They have a cool, sort of Art Deco look to them. Got a pair here just waiting for the day... Clay/Lexi