News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

62 Sedan DeVille Mystery Driveline Vibration

Started by Adam Martin, April 23, 2024, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Martin

Hello all, I am dealing with a vibration that has my head spinning.  I am used to dealing with Buicks with the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft, and that is what is wrong 90% of the time on those.

Initially, I felt this vibration and immediately pulled the driveshaft to have the carrier bearing replaced and also had the driveshaft balanced at that point.  I have also replaced all wheel bearings front and back.  Brand new tires from Diamond Back.  All drums turned.

Is there a way that the transmission can be incorrectly mounted to the engine where it causes a high frequency vibration?  We have to deal with this in Buicks with the Dynaflow, and if the flex plate is clocked wrong on the torque convertor, it will cause a similar vibration. 

Transmission mount is brand new, and engine mounts are good and tight.

Unrelated - do these Hydramatic transmissions whine a lot while in neutral?  This one sings pretty loudly when not in gear.

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Martin

I should mention that it is most prevalent at 25-40 mph.

TJ Hopland

How long have you had this car or has it been under your care?  And has it always had this vibration or did it suddenly or slowly start?  Were you chasing other issues replacing all those parts or was that all for the vibration?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Adam Martin

It came to me as a running project, so I never had it on the road until I had brakes, carb, etc worked out.  So it has been there the whole time I've had it here for the last couple months.

klinebau

Driveline angle might play a role.  I remember seeing a few threads that discussed shims for the center carrier bearing.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Adam Martin

Ah ok...I recall seeing what appeared to be a 1/16" shim under the carrier bearing when it was removed.  I'll look to see if that made it back in.

Clewisiii

Because I like pictures. I believe there were shims both for the trans and the bearing if needed. I was a little puzzled with the placement of the trans shims.

IMG_20231014_172500485_HDR.jpgIMG_20230624_125228020_HDR.jpgIMG_20230624_123808607.jpgIMG_20230624_124522183.jpgIMG_20230624_125134050.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

60eldo

What does flex plate being clocked mean. Im getting my engine rebiult and when it gets back do I need to do this?  I thought just lower the engine in and match 4 bolts to the studs on the torque converter.
Jon. Kluczynski

Dave Shepherd

Drive the car, when you feel the vibration, shut the engine off, put it in neutral, see if you feel the vibration. What you descibe is usually a driveline issue.

Adam Martin

Ok...I did find the section in the manual about adjusting vertical and horizontal placement of the trans/rear/driveshaft.  Without those special brackets and tools, how does one check this stuff?  Should I start with a shim under the carrier bearing and go from there?

RE:  clocking of the flex plate - Buicks of this generation use a kind of triangular flex plate that can be clocked incorrectly on the torque convertor, causing a vibration very similar to what I am describing with the Cadillac.  At this point, I don't think that is an issue on this car.  I think we are onto something with the shim situation, though.  I just have to figure out how to take the measurements without the goofy kent moore tools.

60eldo

Mine is a 1960, I think its the same as yours.
Jon. Kluczynski

Adam Martin

I did some digging...and found this old thread....lots of good info about the mysterious kent moore tools that cannot be found to actually do this job...

https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?topic=68680.0

The Tassie Devil(le)

One think I did find with my '60 CDV, was that the upper ball joint on the top of the differential (Rear upper Control Arm) that controls the vertical and sideways movement was totally trashed.

This part of the car would have to be the least seen or checked, as it is up ant out of casual eyesight.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 24, 2024, 07:37:28 PMOne think I did find with my '60 CDV, was that the upper ball joint on the top of the differential (Rear upper Control Arm) that controls the vertical and sideways movement was totally trashed.

This part of the car would have to be the least seen or checked, as it is up ant out of casual eyesight.

Bruce. >:D

And those are expensive.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Carfreak

Anyone remember Robert Reeve from Lansing Michigan?  He had a 1959 SDV that he drove all over the country to attend GNs often pulling a trailer. 

He had annoying driveline vibration that drove him nuts. Finally after checking and replacing many parts, I think he found it was a defective harmonic balancer.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Adam Martin

Ok, I have shimmed 5/8" of shims under the transmission mount, and the vibration is slowly disappearing...but 5/8" seems excessive.  I think I was sent the wrong height carrier bearing.

Here is the one that is installed...it is tall.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284785319769

There is also this one, which is much shorter....which one is really correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153738247417

Adam Martin

Talking to Jay at caddy daddy and I think I was sent a 63-65 canter support piece.  I just ordered a correct one from him.  I really hope this alleviates the issue.