News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Play between pitman arm and steering link, 1952

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, July 09, 2008, 12:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

There is some play in the (non-power) steering system of my car, about 3 to 4 inches at steering wheel rim. It seems to be located at the ball joint between pitman arm and steering link ("drag link").

From my 1952 shop manual, page 7-10, this ball joint may be adjusted by "turning down [the adjusting screw] tight and backing off 7/8 to 1 turn". It is currently backed off 1/2 turn and there is still play.

What is to be done ? turning this screw more than that ? changing the whole pitman arm (and where to find a new one ?) ?
I found, too, a "drag link repair kit" at K*nter's, who knows which parts it contains and if it can help solve this trouble ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Warren Rauch

I would look for play elsewhere in the suspention or steering gear box. If there isn't any . Then take the drag link joint apart. The ball should be round , but may well be egg shaped. This can give a false sense of tightness since it provides two diameters to tighten the screw up to. Also be sure the spring is not broken. Warren

Otto Skorzeny

Warren is right about the ball joint being out of round. Is your suspension original or has it been replaced? It may just be worn out beyond proper adjustment limits.

Work your way back from the tie rods to the steering box and check for any play anywhere. A small amount in each component can add up by the time it gets to the steering wheel.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

CLC#12231

A good way to locate the problems in the steering system is to have the car on the ground with the wheels in the straight ahead position.  Have someone sit in the car and rock the steering wheel back and forth while you get down on your hands and knees and look for joints that show play.  Especially look for vertical motion of the idler and the Pitman arm.  A properly adjusted system will show no horizontal or vertical motion in any member or joint.

Likely problem areas are a miss adjusted or worn idler or steering gear and wear in the ball joints on the drag link.  Worn king pins can also contribute to loose steering.

Frank

Philippe M. Ruel

This is exactly the way I proceeded :) .
This revealed major play at pitman arm, and some vertical motion of steering link. There may be minor play inside gear but it cannot be seen due to major play in pitman arm. There is no play at all in tie rod ends or king pins (there was play in one king pin, I changed it last winter).

So I am going to disassemble the drag link joint, what should I do if I find out it is "egg-shaped" ??? ?

Otto Skorzeny

fry up some bacon.

replace it if you can. It cannot be repaired and won't ever really fit correctly no matter how tightly you cinch it down.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Philippe M. Ruel

I finally did the work today, I wanted to enjoy my car during summertime.
Everything inside drag link looks good, and it is hard to see whether ball joints are egg-shaped or not, but I noticed (see pictures) heavy wear on pitman arm ball joint "neck", due to friction against drag link walls (there is wear on drag link as well). Is this kind of wear supposed to produce any play on steering ?

There is some minor play, too, at idler arm thread, say 1/32" laterally unless it is totally threaded in (which would not allow steering). Is it supposed to show no play at all ?