News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gas Mileage AGAIN and the effect of speed

Started by "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364, January 28, 2019, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on January 29, 2019, 05:56:57 PM
When I first ventured onto the US road system in 2002, I was flabbergasted at the speeds that everyone was driving at, and soon realised that if I didn't keep up, I would be a statistic pretty quickly.

Try driving at those speeds down here, and your car would soon be clamped, for 28 days and receive heavy fines, including loss of demerit points against your licence.

Bruce. >:D

Bruce you've never driven on the Autobahn I guess. I had rented a new Beemer, lost my nerve at 100mph and stayed to the right. People were running up my a$$, passing me and giving me the finger. Just move to America will ya? Ship your cars over. You can get parts cheaper and quicker, own guns (depending on the state you choose), and drive fast. God Bless America!

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

z3skybolt

The speed limit between Austin and San Antonio TX is 85.  You can drive 95 all day long and no one will blink an eye.  We travel a lot in the western U.S.  Parts of Utah, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming....have very little traffic and virtually zero Highway Patrol.  Even the Cattle Hauler Semis run 90 to 100 mph.

But nothing like driving the autobahn in your rented BMW.... showing a(rental car) computer limited speed of 200 kmh(124.27 mph) and having Mercedes and Audi ...headlights flashing....blow by you at 150 mph plus!

Love it!

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Scot Minesinger

At GN2018 in TX, I drove with traffic when the speed limit on the highway was 75mph, and 90mph was about right.  I rented a BMW 430i retractable metal hardtop convertible - what a blast!  Never drove it with the top up the entire time and blew past the cops on the side of the road at 90mph - they must pull over speeders past 100 mph in TX. 

BTW no idea bout what kind of mileage I was getting. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jason Edge

There were several mentions about the accuracy of speedometers and thought I would share another way to check accuracy.  If you do any traveling for straight distances on interstates (or other roads) with mile markers, you can use the odometer to gauge accuracy. Simply, note the odometer and a mile marker, and drive for 100 miles per the mile marker and look at your odometer. If it says 95 miles or 105 miles you know your speedometer is 5% under or over.  You don't have to drive 100 miles, but makes for easy math.  I've use this method several times on cars and trucks to determine change in speedometer accuracy where I slightly altered the tire diameter.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: z3skybolt on January 29, 2019, 06:17:29 PM
But nothing like driving the autobahn in your rented BMW.... showing a(rental car) computer limited speed of 200 kmh(124.27 mph) and having Mercedes and Audi ...headlights flashing....blow by you at 150 mph plus!
Love it!
Bob

Oh those people are f'ing nuts. Oddly enough, very few crashes. Prolly because they're all driving real cars and are used to the road and speed.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

35-709

Quote from: Jason Edge on January 29, 2019, 09:15:41 PM
There were several mentions about the accuracy of speedometers and thought I would share another way to check accuracy.  If you do any traveling for straight distances on interstates (or other roads) with mile markers, you can use the odometer to gauge accuracy. Simply, note the odometer and a mile marker, and drive for 100 miles per the mile marker and look at your odometer. If it says 95 miles or 105 miles you know your speedometer is 5% under or over.  You don't have to drive 100 miles, but makes for easy math.  I've use this method several times on cars and trucks to determine change in speedometer accuracy where I slightly altered the tire diameter.
The speedometer needle is controlled by a magnet, the odometer uses gears, it is very possible and even likely for the speedometer to be off one way and the odometer off another way or anything in between.  You cannot accurately judge your speedo accuracy using the odometer. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The accurate way to use highway mile markers is by clocking the time between them at a set indicated speed, say 60 MPH.
At that speed it should take exactly 60 seconds.  The difference between 60 seconds and the actual time (+ or -) indicates the discrepancy  (if any) in your speedometer.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

C Gorgas

I'm not going to doubt MPG that some have received on their Cadillacs but I can honestly say I have driven those cars from 1956 to 2001 (10 Caddys) and have never received more than 13 MPG and most often 10-12. I guess I just owned gas hogs. chet25441

fishnjim

Do the math.
At 65, mpg was 16.
At 85, mpg was 12, but it took 65/85 less time.   So that's a 25 % smaller amount of time burning fuel.   So 12/.75 and you get 16.

Scot Minesinger

C. Corgas,

When I was 16 and driving a 1968 Thunderbird with a 429 engine, I could drive 50 miles and burn thru half a tank.  It is all in how you drive.  Once I made my son pay for gas after he started driving (age 16), the mileage in the car he drove doubled (like Father like Son - I guess).  Greg wrote about how his wife and him keep up with traffic and he gets 12mpg and she skillfully earns 16 mpg - that is 33% difference basically driving about the same speed.

I get way better gas mileage when my instantaneous gas mileage indicator is on, reminding me to coast, not accelerate fast, or decelerate fast.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

ozcad

Fishinjim, I like your math concept except it's backwards. More fuel was burned in the shorter travel time.