News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Do not ever buy those replacement engine bolt sets.

Started by TJ Hopland, April 21, 2024, 02:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Tip of the day.  If you are doing engine work like replacing gaskets and such you may be tempted like I was to buy one of those stainless steel engine hardware kits since they are not that expensive and its a time consuming hassle to clean up old bolts plus stainless should look nice right?

Total waste of time that will bite you in the butt sooner than later.  Those bolt kits tend to be low quality and don't have the built in washer like the factory ones did so they WILL NOT stay tight and you WILL end up with leaks.  Its really bad if you have something like say and FWD Eldorado where you can't access all the oil pan bolts.   

If you are buying from a brand like say ARP you are probably fine just don't waste your time with those generic kits that even the specialty vendors sell. Best option is to just spend the time cleaning up the old stuff.  I'm not talking about things like head bolts here, for those you have to do your research and find out what type your engine is supposed to have.  Some can be reused and others can't.   I'm mostly talking about the bolts that hold the 'tins' on.         
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

Best to put the originals into a tumbler for a few days, then chase all the threads and bolt holes.

Stainless is too soft for many applications anyway.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille