News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac transmission cooler

Started by Paul Tesone, December 12, 2021, 10:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

WTB a transmission cooler for my 1957 Cadillac Mine is apparently clogged . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

David King (kz78hy)

I bet a radiator shop could re-core it.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Paul Tesone

Thanks David . I'm going to look into that tomorrow . And thanks for the response to my carburetor rebuild post . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Big Fins

How would it be possible for an oil cooler to be clogged if the transmission operated? The pump pushes the fluid through the cooler while supplying the valve body and other pumps internally with fluid pressure.

I've seen dirty fluid in a lot of older transmissions, but nothing that could clog the passageways unless we are speaking of the small orifices in the valve body. Hydraulic fluid doesn't gum up or get overly sludgy.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Paul Tesone

Big Fins - The transmission  cooler is from a car that has been sitting for years and is now undergoing a complete frame off restoration . Tranny rebuild was completed last week with the exception of connecting the transmission cooler . The tranny rebuilder said he tested the cooler and fluid flow through it ( didn't say if the " fluid " he was talking about was transmission fluid or radiator coolant ) was restricted - most likely from a build up of crud  . He wants me to find a replacement . See part 20.0110 in attached photo . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876

David King (kz78hy)

Engine coolant is what flows through this cooler.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Big Fins

Okay, now it makes more sense. I thought that it was an external air cooled cooler.

I have just about '0' experience with '58 and earlier cars, that's why I mostly just remain quiet, read and learn.

Thanks for the explanation. Another reason why we all like pictures. Visual aids are great.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

Cymz@sbcglobal.net

Paul Tesone