News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheel weights

Started by Porter 21919, March 01, 2005, 11:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter 21919

Im getting ready to mount tires on my 66 rims, in the past some members have commented on the unavailability of the wheel weights.

I believe they are the (CAX) type, open the link and you will see the (CAX) Type weights.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MDMHI-F9A1AK810C1&Product_Code=90-150&Category_Code=WW_CAX TARGET=_blank>http://www.alltiresupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MDMHI-F9A1AK810C1&Product_Code=

Porter

Porter 21919

My CAX wheel weights for my 66 CDV.

You can still get them, but this was the only place I could find to buy them.

Porter

Lynn 10923

And since you didnt say otherwise, Im taking it those are actually the correct ones. Thanks for the source. Most of the kids you see working in tire shops anymore have never seen nor heard of these type weights.

A while ago I found on ebay a box of weights looking exactly the same as these, but the box is labeled Mopar wheel weights. I won them and received them, and theyre exactly the same thing. They fit fine. I didnt know anyone but Cadillac ever used these type weights.

Lynn

Porter 21919

Lynn,

They are the right ones. I pulled 8 of them off my 67 CDV rat rod, which BTW I got running yesterday, just needed a set of points and she fired right up. Had to keep dumping some gas down the carb a few times till the fuel pump supplied the gas. I scrounged an outboard gas tank from the dump, works great. Runs smooth and strong, a bonfide 45K mileage 429.

The starter isnt responding to my rubber mallet anymore, need to pull that off and see whats up.

At any rate I have 25 each: .5, 1 & 1.5 oz. wheel weights. They have to order them for you, takes about three weeks. They claim the Cadillac and Lincoln used these weights back in the 60s/70s for the full wheel cover.

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

03-26-05
Porter, wouldnt it be better to use a steel hammer?
The reason I ask is on two occasions I used a good size steel hammer on two difference cars and they startered right-up
BTW, bet you have bad brushes in your starter.
Good Luck, Jim

Porter 21919

Jim,

How often we simply overlook just having good,clean, tight connections at the battery. Seems to have been the problem.

I bypassed the leaky heater core yesterday, for an engine that has sat for five years it now starts with the touch of the key and runs great. It still needs a lot of cleaning up, I am removing the A.I.R. system since it was a Ca. car. Should make a nice runner when finished.

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

03-27-05
Porter,I think I mis-understood your post about the rubber hammer.
I think now that you were refering to the battery and I was refering to the starter.
In 75, I couldnt get my car to start,drove to a shop (got it jump started) and the union workers were on strike and I had shut-down the engine.
The shop manager took a BIG hammer and wracked the starter a good-one, started right-up.

Difference car.
Had starter replaced and it would not engage,(shop ready to close for day) car still on lift.
Asked machanic if he would raise car and let me use his BIG hammmer, hit that starter a good one, he lowered car, started car, paid a reduced price and left.
Good Luck, Jim