News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Technical / Authenticity / Re: Chrome door lock knobs don...
Last post by MickeyCaddy - Yesterday at 10:37:13 PM
Does anyone know if 1955 Eldorados and Fleetwoods were shipped with chromed metal door lock knobs, but entry-level Series 62 sedans (like mine) came with cheap-feeling plastic knobs? I've been unable to learn what the factory configuration was; and unable to find any chrome knobs that fit my car.

After the first set of chrome door knobs I bought didn't fit, I returned them and bought several samples from various suppliers, including a few from different years. They all fit the same as in the pic I posted above: the hole was almost twice too big.

I then bought a "Nut & Bolt Thread Checker (Complete SAE/Inch and Metric Set) - 26 Male/Female Gauges - 14 Inch & 12 Metric", but none of them even came close to fitting the lock rods in my doors.

When I acquired my '55, I bought a set of black, cheap-feeling, semi-soft plastic knobs which screwed right on. I think I paid $10 – $15 for all four. But I wonder if those are even threaded; after turning them down to the proper height, they can still be turned more but they don't get any lower.

My Dad worked for GM and was given a new Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac (his choice) every year, but I can't remember exactly what GM door lock knobs were like back in the '50s. The samples I purchased look and feel familiar to me, probably because some of them are similar to GM cars of the 1960s. None fit my car.

I'm at a dead end; wondering if anyone has an idea. The cheap knobs I have work, and no one has commented on them, including the Oppenheimer movie crew; but to me they cheapen the feel. My '55 may be the least-expensive 1955 Cadillac, but many folks have commented about the beauty of the cabin.

Thanks for reading!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member number 29829
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Dome light switch not work...
Last post by tluke - Yesterday at 09:59:32 PM
As Rick wrote if the dome light works ever, it has power to it. The dome light has one power line to it. To turn it on, it has ground wires going to each door jam switch and to the switch on the B-pillar. If any (or all) of those switches complete the ground, the light goes on. If the light goes on with each of both back doors opening, the culprit is likely that switch on the B-pillar Those B-pillar switches are notorious for going bad. When I first got my '55 Series 75 that switch (plus the two on the C-post on my limo) were all non-functional. I took the switch out and took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and when reinstalled it worked, but I had to move the switch to just the right position for the light to come on. A second more thorough cleaning and adjustments made it more consistent. The switch itself is grounded to the car's body through the screws that hold it to the B-pillar so you may have to clean up those screws or the screw holes in the b-pillar behind the interior fabric to complete the ground. As Rick says, you should have power to the wire to the on/off switch at all times (multimeter lead to the wire [black in my car] on the switch and other lead touching a clean metal surface on the body somewhere). If no power, then the ground wire from the dome light to the switch is bad.

Not sure about the '50 Cad, but on my '55 the headlight switch is NOT used to turn on the dome light but the dome light power comes off the headlight switch. So a short in that line from the headlight switch to the dome light would trip the thermal breaker in  the HL Switch and turn the dome light off (and clock and map light etc) but it would come back on when the breaker cooled (and then off again from the short etc etc).
General Discussion / Re: Cadillacs in movies.
Last post by MickeyCaddy - Yesterday at 09:40:37 PM
My black 1955 Series 62 sedan had the privilege of appearing in "Oppenheimer" twice, as Robert Downey Jr.'s "character car".

In early 2022 a call went out via the SoCal CLC branch for a 1953 sedan. I was told they couldn't find one (go figure), and the search was expanded to include 1954-55 models.

My black '55 was chosen, and appears twice in the movie. Once at 1:03:18, in black and white, with Downey Jr (as "Strauss") in the back seat; and again at 2:23:51, in color, when Strauss tells Oppenheimer "Take my car, I insist", and Oppenheimer gets in the left rear door. The next scene continues the story, with Oppenheimer riding in the back seat.

My car isn't seen very clearly or for very long, possibly because it's too new a model to be in those scenes. But when Oppenheimer is riding in the back seat, you can look to the left side of the center of the frame, above his shoulder, and see the red glow of the taillamp up above the rear fender – not possible with pre-1954 models. There's not enough visual evidence to prove it's mine, but I do have the canceled checks.

My '55 also appeared in season 2, episode 9 of "The Afterparty" on AppleTV, where it's quite visible.

Both were experiences were a lot of fun, especially when "Oppenheimer" was awarded the Oscar for Best Picture!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member #29829
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 69 DeVille Ground Wire Pla...
Last post by 59-in-pieces - Yesterday at 08:37:18 PM
Oh shoot, I miss read the subject as 1960, not 69.

Oh well, D Mirrione is correct, with his descriptions.

I hope the 1959 pics are helpful and are likely not to be far off from a 69 - but I'm not sure.

Have fun,
Steve B.
General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by Carfreak - Yesterday at 08:00:18 PM
Quote from: Cadman-iac on Yesterday at 04:20:01 AMShimmer huh? Lol!!

Of course SNL when they were funny.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/2721424

To keep relevant to the Cadillac requirement, Dan Akroyd was in the skit and his character's Eldo Brougham from Driving Miss Daisy is in the CLC Museum at Gilmore Museum.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1941 75 Series $20,000 ...
Last post by Vince Taliano #13852 - Yesterday at 07:32:04 PM
Quote from: Bryan J Moran on Yesterday at 06:33:00 PMWestminster Maryland,  Is there anyone close that can lay eyes on this car?  I am interested. 

Hi Bryan,

I reached out to a CLC Potomac Region member who lives in Westminster.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks.

Vince
Great job Bill!
General Discussion / Re: 1960 Sheet Metal Parts Pan...
Last post by Moody - Yesterday at 06:56:19 PM
Be careful on some of these parts. They will fit only after some work because they're not an exact fit many times. Floor pans are the worst.
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Bryan J Moran - Yesterday at 06:37:10 PM
Harry
I agree.  I have been taken to task for asking out loud why we would want a chapter BUT I believe that if it leads to new members, those new members may buy an older Cadillac and restore, maintain or show that car.  I am a shapes guy, so when I see a car, modern or old, my eyes are taken to the car's styling.  I don't think I will ever "love" an Escalade, but they are neat vehicles. 
General Discussion / Re: 1968 DeVille Convertible r...
Last post by Bryan J Moran - Yesterday at 06:34:14 PM
Yes that is great!  Now enjoy!