News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ed Cholakian, 1935–2024

Started by Art Director, May 07, 2024, 09:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Director

It is with a heavy heart I let everyone in the CLC know the passing of longtime CLC member and board of directors member Ed Cholakian. Ed was the owner of All Cadillacs of the '40s and '50s in Sylmar, CA and Las Vegas, NV, and was quite a successful businessman even before getting into Cadillacs.

At Ed's request, no services will be held. A full obit is scheduled to appear in the July issue of The Self-Starter.

August 6, 1935 – May 6, 2024
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I was just talking to his young lady at the shop a few days ago. The only time I could have gone to the LA shop, it was just after the earthquake and he told me that everything was on the floor.

When I was a regular seller at the Hoosier Sell and Swap meet at the Speedway, you could lay money that Ed would be my first customer, and generally he bought enough to pay for my swap space.

Years later, when I was selling my '41 type stuff, I spent a couple of weeks packaging items for his stock. We'd agree on a price, and he never complained about anything I sent. I think I still have a scrap of paper on the floor with his California address.

Opiniated? Most definitely. Was his stuff high priced? I always told prospective buyers for stuff I didn't have, to try everyone else in the country, and if all else fails, call Ed if you really, really needed the part. BUT HE ALWAYS SENT THE RIGHT PART. It might not be quite as nice as he described, but he knew what went where.

At the start, I think I sold him 1947 Cadillac tail lamp lenses. And since they are almost unbreakable, I hate to think of how many sets he must have on the shelves. He was most definitely "one of a kind."

I sent one of his famous T-shirts with a 1941 60S silk-screened on it for auction at the GN. It's still in the plastic wrapper. And I believe I bought it at the first Valley Forge GN. (Size XL) If it's too big for you, bid on it anyway and give it to your wife for a swim-suit coverup.

Ed, you will be sorely missed.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Vince Taliano #13852

Ed was featured on the History Channel's TV Show Counting Cars.  It was Season 6, Episode 23 titled  "Crazy Cool Cadillac" -- it aired on February 25, 2017. Danny "The Count" Koker and "Horny" Mike visited Ed, who gave them a tour of some of his nicest Cadillacs and a Rolls Royce.

View the episode online at the History Channel.

RIP, Ed.

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 4,000 pictures!)

benx13

Sorry to hear. I dealt with Ed a couple times and he was really friendly to me.
Thanks for your help Ed
1951 Series 62 - Under restoration

Jeff Hansen

I don't recall exactly when I met Ed, but I got to know him when he and I were both on the CLC Board of Directors.  When the Las Vegas Region hosted their first Grand National in 2009, Ed held an open house at his home and business which are located together on one property in Vegas.  The invitation was for adults only, please, no children.  I was present for that Grand National with my wife and two kids (aged 9 and 14 at the time).  I had planned not to attend the event to honor Ed's request of no kids.  Ed called me and asked why I had not signed up for the event.  When I explained that I had my kids with me, Ed announced, "Jeff, your children are welcome in my home anytime."  How could I refuse?  Ed welcomed all four of us with open arms. He was a winner in my book from that experience.

And, oh my gosh, the parts!  At that open house, we were free to wander the aisles.  The parts that were present and available would rival any Cadillac dealer - and put many to shame.

Ed, thank you for the kindness you have shown me and my family over the years.  As Barry mentioned, Ed, you will be sorely missed.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Carfreak

We first met Ed in Spring 1985 at a SoCal CLC show in Long Beach(?) CA.  Believe he was driving an older sedan delivery that could carry parts & a table in the back.

Would also periodically see him hauling Cadillacs around the area.

RIP Ed
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Lexi

Dealt with him on the phone and he was always friendly and informative with me. RIP Ed and my condolences to his family and friends. Clay/Lexi

Cadillac Jack 82

I've bought some items from him in the past.  RIP.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Tom Boehm

My one experience with him many years ago was very different than the stories told here. He must have been an acquired taste.

Carfreak

Quote from: Tom Boehm on Yesterday at 03:25:58 PMMy one experience with him many years ago was very different than the stories told here. He must have been an acquired taste.

His prices could be very substantial and he stood behind them. 

When a friend contacted Ed to purchase a coil for his pre-war Cadillac and was quoted $300 almost 25 years ago, the friend responded 'I don't want a box of them, just one'  LOL!
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Tom Boehm on Yesterday at 03:25:58 PMMy one experience with him many years ago was very different than the stories told here. He must have been an acquired taste.
I agree!!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.