News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Radio swap

Started by Geoff Newcombe #4719, February 17, 2007, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Would a 1967 radio fit properly into a 1964 dash.  A friend has the opportunity to buy a 67 AM/FM Stereo radio and he would like to install it in his 64 driver.  I have told him I thought it would fit but he has heard the 67/68 radios were different enough that they would not, so I am asking here to be sure.  I understand the wiring hookups may well be different and he would have to find a place to mount the separate stereo component.
Thanks.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Bring this to the top one more time, can anyone answer this one??
Thanks.

Doug Houston

First answer is no, a 67 radio wont fit right into a 63-64 dash. As similar as they are even to a 66, theyre different. I did it once, and later found the correct radio. Remember that the 67 set has an outboard power amplifier, which contains the de-multiplexer.

The easiest and cleanest way out of this is to find a 64 AM-FM radio, install it in the 63 dash, and be done with it.

WHAT??? you cant live with monaural FM???  I dunno what to tell you!

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Well, thank you for the reply Doug.  You dunno what to tell me?  You told me what I needed to know in your first sentence.  I am well familiar with the outboard amplifier as I think I indicated.   As I mentioned it is not for me, it is for a friend (not that it really matters) who has only an AM now and the 67 AM/FM stereo is available.  A 64 AM/FM is not at the present time.  He IS a member by the way, but not big on computers.

I am sure an AM/FM monaural will be just fine once one can be found, not a big seller in 64.  Never said anything about the car being a 63, it is a 64.

Doug Houston

I think that a little looking might turn up one of the AM-FM sets I once had a 63 Cadillac with one, so that tells me positively that the first year was 63. I think that they sold a lot of those sets, and very few are looking for one. By the way, they were very good radios.

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: Doug Houston on February 19, 2007, 05:33:47 PM

WHAT??? you cant live with monaural FM???  I dunno what to tell you!

I actually PREFER a monaural radio.. because monaural has a wider bandwidth which translates into less noise in the speaker(s).

I would much rather give up stereo in exchange for less background [QRM] noise when listening to the radio.

I cannot fathom why the manufacturers did not include a switch to go from monaural to stereo, or vice-versa.

35-709

Wow, 2007, this must be dig up REALLY old threads day!   ::) 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David King (kz78hy)

I did not look to see how old it was until I saw Doug Houston's post.  Either Doug was posting from the grave, or it was an old post.  It was good see Doug's name back on the forum though.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It can be done - but it didn't work out too well in my case. First, the '64 ring knobs (for fader & tone controls) will not reach the shafts of the '67 radio when it's installed in the '64 dash. So those controls will not be able to be used and the final result isn't pleasing with those two controls missing.

The '67 radio I used was a mono FM unit; a stereo radio will add more complications.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute