News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heater duct for backseat passengers in '62?

Started by CadGrabber, October 01, 2015, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadGrabber

I noticed that my recently acquired 1962 Series 62 convertible has a plastic heating duct on top of the trans tunnel, originating at the bottom center of the dash, and ending in an outlet with a chrome plastic grille. Neat! Did all '62s have this or was this a convertible thing?  Coming from "lesser" vintage automobiles, this is the first time I've seen an attempt to keep those poor backseat passengers warm!

gary griffin

My 1942  67 series as well as so many Cadillacs of that era has heaters under the front seats ducted to the floor area of the rear seat. It was called the Deluxe heating system and thermostatically controlled.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Joe G 12138

At one time I had a '62 4 door hardtop, with Bucket seats that had that feature. Very unusual setup, but it was factory. The buckets seat backs did not tilt forward like in a coupe, they were fixed. No console, but that rear seat duct was right between them.        Joe Gibeault

CadGrabber

Quote from: gary griffin on October 01, 2015, 08:54:55 PM
My 1942  67 series as well as so many Cadillacs of that era has heaters under the front seats ducted to the floor area of the rear seat. It was called the Deluxe heating system and thermostatically controlled.

Whoa, did not realize that feature dated back to the 1940s. This is what you miss when you drive plebian vehicles all your life!!

CadGrabber

Quote from: Joe G 12138 on October 01, 2015, 08:58:32 PM
At one time I had a '62 4 door hardtop, with Bucket seats that had that feature. Very unusual setup, but it was factory. The buckets seat backs did not tilt forward like in a coupe, they were fixed. No console, but that rear seat duct was right between them.        Joe Gibeault

Joe, you are describing exactly how my convertible is equipped. That heating duct is right between the bucket seats (no console) like how you are mentioning your '62 was.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Joe G 12138 on October 01, 2015, 08:58:32 PM
The only one of those I ever saw was owned by Gary Anderson years ago. Same car???
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Walter Youshock

Not rare at all.  My '57 has heat ducts that run through the doors with outlet grilles to the rear compartment.  The Eldorado Brougham had adjustable rear seat heaters under the seats.

Today, with global warming, we need additional ac vents, not heat!  Remember that many a time cadillacs carried rear seat passengers in the old days.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

All models equipped with heater had underseat duct(s) for a good long stretch. I am unsure of the exact model year span but I would surmise it ended sometime in the mid to late '60s.

Bench seat cars had 2 ducts under the seat on either side; single duct in center on bucket seat cars which was finished with a chrome outlet since it was in plain sight.

Personally I always liked the way the older heating systems performed because the fan operated much slower - therefore quieter, and secondly, because heat is much better dispersed, the car warms more rapidly and evenly.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jock82

We had a 1960 Buick Invicta that had underseat heater ducts, I think there was a lever on the instrument panel that opened them up.

Guy Moore
CLC #12650
1989 Sedan de Ville
1994 Concours
2009 DTS'
1976 Olds 98 Regency

Guy Moore CLC# 12650