News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheres The Ark?

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, March 29, 2024, 01:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

Is it me or have the posts about The Ark gone silent?  While some of the responses were brash...the Cadillac convos were cool.  What happened?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

The Tassie Devil(le)

The owner of the Ark decided to depart from the CLC, both the Club, and Forums, including Facebook.

Laurie would not tone down her brash remarks, and following the instigating of a ban from the Administrators, after sending disgusting correspondence to all, even the President of the CLC, she decided to completely sever her Membership and part ways.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Well that is a loss.  I enjoyed hearing someone that
worldly telling it like it is.  I never detected
distortions of the truth, we have lived with
plenty of that lately.  Bruce Roe

Cadillac Jack 82

Well that doesnt surprise me considering her comments.  Oh well.  Shame it got ugly.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Series75

Etta James said it best.....At Last.
Tom CLC #6866

Lexi

Disappointed to learn that Laurie left under such circumstances. The Club and CLC Administrators did not deserve what Bruce reported. I always liked Laurie's passion for Cadillac, but to say she has some issues that are incompatible with the CLC is an understatement. Hope she is happy in her new endeavours. Clay/Lexi

Carfreak

Yes, Laurie had strong opinions and lots of them but a huge part of Laurie's recent angst was based on a particular moderator, how at times he comes across as biased in how Forum Rules are administered - or not enforced.  I've had it happen to me too. 

We are down a few Forum Moderators due to death (Bill Hedge), another sold his Cadillac and didn't renew his Club membership (Dan LeBlanc) and at least one other moderator is not always active on a regular basis sometimes being absent for weeks or longer.

Speaking with the CLC President, he will likely being reaching out to some of the regulars here or perhaps in his President's Message asking for one or more volunteers to step up and join as a new Moderator.   

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Cadillac Jack 82

I'd love to volunteer but sadly work and life might not be the best for helping.  I can attest that locally I've connected with 10 other Cadillac owners and have preached the club/forum.  Even last night there was a beautiful 64 Deville drop top that I've never seen before.  Crazy to think there's that many mid century Cads here.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Bryan J Moran

99% of the problem is that no one involved in this was face to face.  Forums and e communication create these disfunctions. 

Responses here are compromised by time, responsibility and motive. 

Bruce will never meet Laurie.  If they did - and there was also a group in the meeting, I doubt Laurie would drop f bombs and inappropriate words. 
CLC 35000 in number only

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on March 30, 2024, 07:12:33 PM99% of the problem is that no one involved in this was face to face.  Forums and e communication create these disfunctions. 

Responses here are compromised by time, responsibility and motive. 

Bruce will never meet Laurie.  If they did - and there was also a group in the meeting, I doubt Laurie would drop f bombs and inappropriate words. 
One of the biggest problems with corresponding over the internet as against face to face is the lack of inflections in ones' voice.   Even though a lot of us speak English, the biggest problems is that in some countries, writing a word can have many different meanings.   Plus, words in one dialect can mean totally the opposite in another, which is why English Language is one of the hardest languages to understand, and to learn from a non-english-speaking area.

Heck, even in USA, a lot of people couldn't understand what I was saying, because I didn't realise that I had an accent.   Never had a problem at home.

Plus, some words in one place can mean something really derogatory, but in others, a term of endearment.   It is just how it is said, as against written.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cadillac Jack 82

Again her posts with her car were cool but not her attitude towards other members.  Nobody should ever berate another member.  Its like the American Legion...leave your troubles at the door and enjoy!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Roger Zimmermann

Ad first, I was looking at the posts from Laurie. After a while, I skept them because it was garbage for me. As a French speaking guy, I had difficulties to understand what she wrote.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

billyoung

I guess I am a guy that tries to imagine walking in another's shoes. I belong to a Christian Prison Ministry called KAIROS and we go into a Prison every month and do Church with the prisoners and twice a year we go in for 4 days and teach them about Christ. In listening to their stories of their childhoods and lives it explains much of their behaviors but does not excuse them. Laurie is a Veteran, she has endured much in that service that has severely damaged her health and will curtail her life expectancy. I take these things into consideration. Again each of us may have aspects of our personalities that may be harder for others to understand and accept. One Mans Opinion.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

James Landi

Being a member of this club and especially this forum is one of the joys of my old age. The  challenges and issues as stated above and the analysis are spot on... I add my bit of experience as a headmOnster in several college preparatory, private schools with volunteer boards spanning nearly 40 years, as follows: This organization likely receives an "A" from its members. But a solid "A" grade leaves out 5% who are dissatisfied. Most of these folks are either uncompromising or suffer from personality disorders.  I say this not to cast aspersions on those who are not well served or have been  slighted, but only to point out that in a not-for-profit organized and headed by a self perpetuating board of trustees and run by volunteers,  there are bound to be folks who are unhappy. It's just a sad truth that negatively affects volunteerism and good cheer. 

Carfreak

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 30, 2024, 09:52:07 PMPlus, some words in one place can mean something really derogatory, but in others, a term of endearment.   It is just how it is said, as against written.

Hopefully you eventually learned calling someone the B-word is not friendly in the US.

Lexi

Quote from: James Landi on March 31, 2024, 07:31:16 AMBeing a member of this club and especially this forum is one of the joys of my old age. The  challenges and issues as stated above and the analysis are spot on... I add my bit of experience as a headmOnster in several college preparatory, private schools with volunteer boards spanning nearly 40 years, as follows: This organization likely receives an "A" from its members. But a solid "A" grade leaves out 5% who are dissatisfied. Most of these folks are either uncompromising or suffer from personality disorders.  I say this not to cast aspersions on those who are not well served or have been  slighted, but only to point out that in a not-for-profit organized and headed by a self perpetuating board of trustees and run by volunteers,  there are bound to be folks who are unhappy. It's just a sad truth that negatively affects volunteerism and good cheer.

Spot on James. We can't please all of the people all of the time. Clay/Lexi

Carfreak

Quote from: James Landi on March 31, 2024, 07:31:16 AMI say this not to cast aspersions on those who are not well served or have been  slighted, but only to point out that in a not-for-profit organized and headed by a self perpetuating board of trustees and run by volunteers,  there are bound to be folks who are unhappy. It's just a sad truth that negatively affects volunteerism and good cheer.

LOL, every two years the self-perpetuating Board is up for reelection. There is usually at least one mention suggesting members who were interested to become involved submit their names to be put on the ballot.

This year I heard some longer-term Board members were asked to consider stepping back in case people were being reelected due to name familiarity as a way to help get some new people involved. 

The ballot and candidate profiles for this year's election were in the March Self Starter.  For the first time, votes can be submitted on the paper ballot by mail or members can vote online. 

Historically only a small percentage of members actually bother to vote. When I looked at the ballot there were several new names including Forum participant Eric DeVirgilis, Frank Nicodemus JR, Nick Manole, Dr Joe Roglieri, Dan Graziadei, Jim Jordan and Bill Levy. 

Mr. Landi - have you returned your ballot yet? Granted there are 20 names for the 20 open positions (plus the option for Write In Candidate) but there is also a Constitutional Amendment being considered also. 

James Landi

"Mr. Landi - have you returned your ballot yet? Granted there are 20 names for the 20 open positions (plus the option for Write In Candidate) but there is also a Constitutional Amendment being considered also."

No--- I'm a laggard-- I enjoy the club, read the forum every day, have fun weighing-in, I haven't donated, I haven't voted. If I sound like I'm preaching, please accept my apologies. Yep, I'm one of the selfish  folks who should be very actively involved, but I'm not and I've no excuses.

I appreciate your challenging me and my personal observations regarding not-for-profit organizations . In my experience, on average, somewhere around 5% of those in a not-for-profit like CLC are volunteers and donors, so they are a small group of dedicated and passionate folks who will take on the task and responsibilities that, in the commercial, for profit world,  are paid positions. And I entirely agree with you that engaging membership to take on these responsibilites is a challenging part of their task,that is,  finding like minded volunteers to keep the organization running. The nominating committee of the board is essential--- thus  "self-perpetuating element for not-for-profit boards."     

skinny_tom

I come here for the knowledge. I pay my dues because this kind of stuff doesn't come for free and I recognize that. I don't vote because I don't know anything about anyone in the club- but I may one day drive my ratty-caddy to a club event just to see what's up. Most of what I've learned about the various mechanicals I've learned here. What a great place!

The stories about the Ark were always entertaining. What a character!

- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

klinebau

As a '70 owner, I will really miss hearing about updates to the Ark and the associated color.  I do understand that a line was crossed and that there are consequences, but I appreciate and support the hard work of our moderators.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI