News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70's & 80's cars asking $10k+ with missing filler panels?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 08, 2023, 11:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I just saw the ad that inspired this thread.  Still for sale for the same price.

That also is further proof that the f book algorithm and search is crap.  I always search for and look for the same stuff and have not seen this car since maybe June or July and today it shows it to me again today and says its been for sale the whole time apparently.  Doesn't look like anything has been changed or updated in the ad.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Saw a new winner today and apparently another FB algorithm glitch since it said its been listed for 74 weeks and I just saw it now.  Everyone line up for an 81 Eldo with 129k, dash cut up with wires hanging out and no radio, no intact fillers, headliner touching the headrests, and the best for last..... Its one of those color combos where the paint just falls off so the hood and trunk is mostly the black primer with the random splotches of blue. Sides actually look alright even though every photo is out of focus. 

It does look clean otherwise and its a V6 which is not that common but probably the easiest to keep running these days.  What would you pay for this gem?  They are asking $16k       

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's why it's still for sale. Moral of the story: Kooks exist in all walks of life.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Are the 80's fillers more of a problem than the 70's ones or are we at the age where many of the 70's ones have already been replaced? 

What was the change in the headliners?  Was it that foam layer?  When did that start?  77?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

With the newest fillers now being 32 years old, all model years are potentially at risk of decomposition.

There are essentially two factors contributing to this: Age and heat. The less of either, the better. For cars kept in where the average temperatures are the highest, I've seen fillers that become destroyed in as little as eight years. Conversely, I've seen 40/+ year old original fillers remain in perfect condition on cars where average temperatures are cool. Cars from Alaska and Canada often have some of the most perfectly preserved fillers to this day.

The new sound deadening cloth-over-foam headliners began with the new generation full size GM cars of 1977. The same factors affecting fillers also apply to this type of headlining. The headliner used 76-79 Seville has cross stitching which seems more resilient to the sagging of the single piece headliner used in the GM C & B body cars from 77-85 & Brougham up to 1992.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute