News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Seville

Started by dborom, February 18, 2024, 05:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dborom

Good afternoon all.  My name is Damon and I'm looking to get some information on 1976 Sevilles.  Currently, I'm considering purchasing one with 73K.  The pics look great, but we haven't had the chance to arrange an in-person viewing.  I know there are a lot of features on this car that could be somewhat problematic, especially the EFI system.  Per Mr. Anderson's suggestion, I will strongly consider purchasing a manual for this model.  I guess I'm looking for opinions from the experts on whether or not I should entertain the purchase, and the availability of critical parts, etc.   

TJ Hopland

It may help if you can give us some of your background and or experience with classic cars.  Ballpark age and location in the world could also be useful info.   The advice to someone outside the USA with no classic car experience is quite different than what we would give to a retired auto engineer that had only collected Fords till this car.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

I should have noted welcome to the forum and that you came to the right place no matter what your experience level is.   If this is your first on every level we can help.  If this just your first Seville we can help.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bryan J Moran

Glad you got in before May 1, we should add.  After that you will need to go to Facebook for similar but less knowledgeable assistance. 

We do not know price, and a lot of issues.  70,000 miles may be a lot or not much depending on care received over the years. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Carfreak

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on February 19, 2024, 07:53:17 AMGlad you got in before May 1, we should add.  After that you will need to go to Facebook for similar but less knowledgeable assistance. 

Non-dues paying members will always be able to read here at the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forum but after May 1, you will have to be a paid member to post on the Forum. 

After over 20 years of unlimited use for everyone, the CLC National Board recently voted to approve the change due to rising costs and protection against scammers and spammers such as the one who posted this morning.   
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

bcroe

That mileage is barely broken in for that bullet proof engine and
transmission, if properly cared for.  But if oil changes or other
maintenance were neglected, it could have problems.  There is
good documentation for the cars, including the blue and white
book CADILLAC ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION DIAGNOSIS
Manual 1099984 / S-1453. Its usually available on EBay, currently
new reprint number: 165136935730, and others.  Some members
here have studied the EFI, with some suggested upgrades.  Some
others have just converted to a carb. 

The problems for any car of the era are going to be largely related
to its age.  The OEM timing chain set on cars of this era needs to
be replaced with an all steel set. The original cam sprocket had
plastic teeth which can crack and fall off of old age, regarless of
low miles. This time bomb can clog the oil pickup and do more damage.

Just about any rubber in the drive train will be marginal to failing. 
That means every hose and injector seal in the fuel system, vacuum
hoses, possible suspension, and others.  Dried grease in bearings
will soon cause failures if not serviced.  Plenty of the "luxury" stuff
like power antenna, cruise control, and climate control can be expected
to need service.  Brake systems on my 70s cars have been TOTALLY
replaced.  That is part of the price of driving an old Cad, when you
could get the same drive train in an Olds stripper.  Most parts for
maintenance of these cars are cheap for a DIY owner, but hiring the
work done can be very labor and $ intensive.    good luck, Bruce Roe

dborom

Thanks to all for the response.  Very helpful.  This is my first on all levels with regard to classic cars.  I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area.  I am not experienced at all in working on cars.  That's a huge part of my concern about buying the car.  A lot of the ol'skool good mechanics that could work on cars like this aren't around anymore.  I personally know the owner so I should be able to get whatever maintenance records he may have.  We're going to try to schedule an in-person visit so that I can get pics.     

Carfreak

Have you checked out joining your local CLC Region? 

It is a great way to connect with other Cadillac fanatics and you very well may meet some that could guide you on your restoration and maintenance adventures.  There are several Regions in Ohio including one based in Akron, one in Toledo and another in Columbus. 

https://cadillaclasalleclub.org/regions-chapters-affiliates/
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

bcroe

Driving a decades old car will eventually involve all kinds
of maintenance that is not even mentioned in the book. I
have driven late 70s cars since they were new, because they
are about the easiest and cheapest for me.  That is not true
when you hire that old time mechanic, assuming you can even
find a really good one.  good luck, Bruce Roe

dborom

Thanks Carfreak and bcroe!  I will definitely look into the regional chapters!

V63

As a frequent and gratuitous participant of the forum here, now labeled a "moocher" ...please consider the source:

I do have and have had these early Bosch systems (to include a 1973 MB 350SL) and honestly, if you are not very well versed with these versions... I would NOT recommend this one.
This technology is now 50 years old and I could not imagine'depending' on a local shop to service it at any level.
Further, if your area has alcohol blended fuels...these early systems are sensitive to it and you will be on a first name basis with AAA dispatcher. And then the parts are now difficult.

If you decide to proceed it it advisable to change the rubber connections and the injector o ring seals, once  the orings leak ... a fire is often the result.

76Caddy

dborom,

I found my '76 Seville in 2016 with 85x miles (now has 92x) and it has been absolutely fun owning and driving it.  It was well maintained by the previous owner and is mostly original and has not given me a minute's trouble.  Like everyone has said, you have to stay on top of the maintenance.       

Hope you enjoy it and welcome to the club!

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala