News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Saving original Parts

Started by 34837, February 21, 2024, 02:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello, new to site and  new owner of a stone stock  very  clean 1973  Coupe Deville, essentially a "survivor- barn find" with 83000 miles. Aside from needed replacement of a few exterior trim pieces , in great shape but need to replace belts, water pump and radiator and whatever essential issues my mechanics may find.  While I dont intend to enter contests etc the car needs to be a dependable although mildly used driver. So- should I keep the previously mentioned parts for a future "purest" owner?  Barring financial  catastrophe the car will go to grave with me! Thanks, A.H. 

Highwayman68

I am not familiar with 73 AC system but if it has a double belt on it the water pump is very much in demand for refurbishing.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Gabe Davis

Anything that comes off of my '59 gets put into a box and saved. I have old spark plugs, water pump, belts, fuel pump, brake lines; you name it I saved it. You never know. Except for the aftermarket exhaust pipes with holes in them. If they were original I may have thought twice but I 100% knew that they were not original to the car. So those went in the bin.
1959 Coupe DeVille
Rosewood with Dover White Top

Lexi

Good advice from Gabe. Clay/Lexi

billyoung

My best advice is take your time and remove anything that needs rebuilding and get the original parts rebuilt and then re install them, like a water pump. DO NOT buy new made in China garbage, HUGE mistake. Welcome and I Love the 1973's.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Suntuned

Anything on that engine can be rebuilt. water pump, carburetor, alternator, starter, distributor, and the radiator tubes can be rodded out, or the core replaced. The original parts on your engine are better Quality then some of the replacements parts out there. Don't let your mechanic talk you into a new Edelbrock carb , your Rochester  Quadrajet is a far superior carburetor. Have fun putting it back on the road!

Thanks all, as I suspected...the only exterior parts needed are the front drivers side "bumper filler" and the  filler piece under fuel tank cap on rear bumper, both available on EBAY from some outfit in India, pretty pricey but cost is all relative anymore. Im sure there will be more stuff needing update as time goes by.   A. H.

Jay Friedman

I think the motto of an old car owner should be: "Never throw anything away". 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Jay Friedman on February 21, 2024, 11:43:17 PMI think the motto of an old car owner should be: "Never throw anything away". 

Exactly. But then where do you store all of the old used parts at if you don't live in a house with a lot of extra storage space? I have habit of not throwing ANY  old used part away, it's most likely my OCD lol.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Carfreak

I won't name names but a CLC'er was storing several sets of sabre wheels in his garage attic.   :-X

Looking around as we helped him remove the wheels, it sure didn't look like construction planned for that type of storage. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

cadillacmike68

You shouldn't keep "everything", but certain items should be kept. Eny cores for engine accessories, water pump, starting motor, AC Compressor, QuadraJet, PS pump, etc. should be kept. 1973 was the transition year from double pulley AC and PS to single  pulley. Keep your originals. But if want you can get  a FlowKooler water pump with a vastly improves impeller and they do have them for 1968-18 double pulley systems.

Drive belts, front brake pads (not rear shoes), shocks, struts, something that cannot be rebuilt toss it.

The Climate Control system, Don't throw any of this out.

Radiator - if the tanks are good, it can be re-cored over and over.

Keep all wiring harnesses.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

bcroe

If you want reliable, make sure the OEM timing
chain "time bomb" is changed out with an all steel
set.  Refresh the internal seals in the trans so
it will not fail and need a total overhaul later,
all the hard parts should be good (better than
new replacements).  Check out the brakes, at 2
dozen years I replaced ALL the lines, hoses,
cylinders and calipers.  At 4 dozen years I kept
the now stainless lines, but changed the rest. 
good luck, Bruce Roe