News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Flathead Valve Spring Lifter Tool

Started by harry s, January 25, 2009, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harry s

My valve spring compressor broke while installing valve springs in my '37 flathead engine. A friend loaned me a special tool by KD for Cad/LaSalle flathead valve spring installation. It is part #339 and is dated 1/55.  I called KD and they have record of such a tool. It is very small and compact, fits the valve valley with lots of room to work. It really works great and makes the job much easier. Anyone have a spare they would like to get rid of?
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Jeff Hansen

That's an interesting tool, Harry!  Keep us posted if you find one (or more!).  I'm sure others might be interested in this, too.

Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Doug Houston

If  you can't find one of those, don't pass up one of the old C-clamp style valve spring compressors. I have one, and have used it on more valve jobs than I can count. A lot of them were on Cadillac flat head engines.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Doug and folks,

Here is the original Valve Lifter Remover and Replacer, J-257-x, made by Hinckley-Myers. This is shown in the 1937 on up, for a few years, in the engine section of the Cadillac Shop Manual.

There are other nifty tools made by KD to remove the keepers. I have a couple may take a picture and add to the board if anyone is interested.

Found the above tool last year.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Mike Simmons 938

John- Great find, and probably still useful in many old engines. I always felt that the point on the valve face end worked better on the older 30s valves that had grooves or whatever cut in the valve faces. Those are the type of valves that also worked best with some of the old hand operated valve seat  refinishing tools. As valve faces became flattened and smooth, you had to add a suction cup to the end of the seat grinding tool- didn't work as well. Excuse the digression, but that's why a modern C-clamp style, or that little KD tool for flathead Cads and Lincolns, will slip less than that pointy old one you have.
My impression, anyway.
I have a KD tool, but tend to forget about it- it takes much longer to do a whole block than with the C-style.

Mike,

Tool is still very useful, just use a metal cup with a flat surface on the pointed end and life is good.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

Folks,

This is the 3rd try at posting this with a picture.

There are other tools for installing keepers on the valves on flatheads. The KD 609 with box is for Ford flatheads, but is magnetized so will work on our vintage Cadillac and LaSalle, although the tool is real small.
The KD 605 pictured to the left is also a tool for installing keepers. It is a little larger and is easier to use and helps one from dropping the keepers during the installation. It is know that some have dropped the keepers into the oil pan.

John W.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille

homeonprunehill

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on January 26, 2009, 07:57:42 PM
Folks,

This is the 3rd try at posting this with a picture.

There are other tools for installing keepers on the valves on flatheads. The KD 609 with box is for Ford flatheads, but is magnetized so will work on our vintage Cadillac and LaSalle, although the tool is real small.
The KD 605 pictured to the left is also a tool for installing keepers. It is a little larger and is easier to use and helps one from dropping the keepers during the installation. It is know that some have dropped the keepers into the oil pan.
[quoat]
John W.
01-26-09
Johnw,You know the "law of Mechanic" just when you get your hands all covered with dirty grease ,your nose begains to itch and  you have to pee. also the "law of Gravity" Any tool when droped, will roll to the least accessable spot.
Now to get serious, The box that you have ioncluded  in the picture also "says" "& other engines. So I think if you have the room in the engine use it to put in the keepers . I didn't have fancy tools like that when I was w2qorking on my flat-head,just some "stickey" grease to hold the keepers untill I released the "C" clamp. Also, use some clean rags to catch any keepers droped. Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

flightlevel180

Hello,

I've got a KD No. 339...belonged to my grandfather who was a Porche Mechanic until the mid sixties.

It may be available.

M Coykendall

Jeff Maltby 4194

1952 KD tools
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It may be appropriate to mention here that the distance between the end of a seated valve and the cam is 3.000 inches. I used to have a home made tool out of valve stock that some one gave me. Commonly known as the "three inch tool." I think the regular tool # was J-1055. (If that is right, chalk one up for the old man's memory...)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville