News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1960 New 2 ton engine hoist

Started by 60eldo, Yesterday at 11:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Just bought a new 2 ton engine hoist and it wont reach out far enough. Am I doing something wrong. Hoist is right against the bumper. Has anyone else tryed to do this with success
Jon. Kluczynski

Big Fins

In one word, YES!

I had to go get a 5' extension of square tube for both the boom and the legs that roll under the car. This all had to be fabricated before I could even think about lifting the 390 and Hydra-Matic. I still have it and it's very heavy. The boom is more than double the thickness of the existing boom. It had to be drilled and bolted back far enough so that when weight was applied, the existing boom didn't just peel away like an onion skin.

I kept it in hopes that if I ever needed to pull the 500 out of the Eldorado, I would have something capable of doing the job. But before I can do anything, I need to get the 8 ton bottle jack resealed. I just hope I NEVER have to pull that engine out.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadman-iac

Jon,

I know that some of these are adjustable both on the legs and the boom. However, unfortunately most are designed for today's little turdboxes where the exhaust manifold doubles as the grille so they don't have to reach out as far. They're really not designed to work on a real car.
If yours is adjustable, there should be a bolt sticking out of each leg that clamps the extension part in place, and the same with the boom. Just be sure to extend the legs as far as they'll go, (but keeping a minimum of 6" inside the outer portion), or the whole unit with your engine will tip forward.
I've got one of these newer versions myself, (read Chinese), but if I'm working on something that I need a longer reach for, I'll use my old hoist, (it's just a lot heavier and harder to move), I've had to use the jack from the old hoist on the newer one anyway after the newer one, (Chineseium), gave out with an engine and transmission hanging over the header panel. Thankfully the car was just a junker that I wanted the drive train out of, so no harm other than the huge mess the transmission made when it leaked all over the floor, (and my temper).

With that said, if yours doesn't extend far enough, about the only thing that you can do short of buying another is to buy some box tubing similar to what that one is made from, and make longer extensions for legs and boom so it'll have the reach you need.
Yes, it's a real pain in the a$$, but this is the result of dealing with China.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Big Fins

What I really want to know is why this is in the Cars For Sale thread?

General or Tech would be the better for it.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Clewisiii

My friend had to buy a larger size lift just for the reach yo pull his engine from his 66.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Big Fins on Yesterday at 05:43:03 PMWhat I really want to know is why this is in the Cars For Sale thread?

Maybe he's hinting that if he can't get the engine out, it's time to sell?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Fins on Yesterday at 05:43:03 PMWhat I really want to know is why this is in the Cars For Sale thread?

General or Tech would be the better for it.
Maybe I am the first Moderator to see it when I woke up this morning, but now it has been moved.

But, the sole reason why I built my own "crane" was simply because the cheap imported hoists just are not made for our sort of cars.

Mine is made of heavy gauge steel, with a brace across the top, and is sufficiently low enough to clear any frame when the car is on the ground.   I made it with 4.5" clearance.   I used some old floor jack rollers at the front, and swivels at the back.   The winch is for tilting the load if necessary, and goes through the boom and over the rollers at each end.

The chain hoist is used for ease at times, and the lifting point furthest back is for the heavy loads so the whole thing won't overbalance.   The back-to-back mechanical jacks are there as I wanted total control, without the "bounciness" of the Hydraulic rams.   Plus, they are up high, out of the way of radiator crossmembers when up close.

I don't use the overhead beams, as they have enough trouble holding up the house, plus, they are too low.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon