News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

HELP need advice on a stuck lug nut

Started by dulcidog, March 12, 2011, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dulcidog

I know this may be remedial for most of You but i have a 74 thats been in the garage 6 yrs want to roll it but tire is flat all but 1 lug nut came off .Last on wont budge and i think I stripped it a bit working it. dont have a compressor. Guy at NApa recomennded a hand held Chisel to crack it. Any thoughts /advice most appreciated -Bill Lawlor New haven Ct
B. Lawlor
Ct

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

What I've used for years is a tool called E-Z Off.

It's a long socket with carbide teeth that works as follows and is made especially
for stuck or rounded lug nuts.  You hammer the socket onto the nut, then using
a standard socket wrench turn the nut off.  It never failed me even with rounded
off and rusted nuts.

Here's the manfacuturer:

http://www.newmantools.com/ez.htm

Good luck!

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

The chisel thing may work but its difficult to do without damage to the stud and wheel.  It takes the correct chisel, the correct decent sized hammer, and a bit of practice.

At this point it may be cheaper to buy an air compressor to get air in the tire so you can drive it to a shop.   Sears has some options for around $60 and Im sure if you look around you may be able to find something for less.  Quality wont be a huge issue since you wont likely be using it a lot.   Dont bother with those mini 12V ones, they are alright for adding air but will likely burn out trying to fill an empty car tire not to mention its going to take all day.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Sears also sells a set made by "Supersockets".  Not sure what size they go up to.

You may also be able to hammer on a metric socket and spin it off.  There is also a nut breaker tool but you may not have access to position it properly on a lug nut.

Squirt it down with penetrating oil too.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Art Woody

You really need an imact wrench. You can use a chisel or a good center punch for an impact, First use penetrating oil on stud front and at wheel. Place the chisel or center punch on left shoulder of the flat surface of nut and hammer in counter clockwise direction. (assuming rt. hand threads) Several good hard blows will start the nut turning, just follow it around and reposition as needed. Of course it will ruin the nut, but only a $2 loss or less. Good Luck.

Jim Stamper

You might also be able to borrow an air tank from a gas station with a hauler to just air up your tire. I bought one years ago for about $20. Probably every parts store has them. You may have to go back and get it filled again for an empty, but I have used mine many times to retrieve cars. Most car retrieval people have them if they don't have an onboard compressor. Gas stations, too.

Jim Stamper CLC#13470

R Schroeder

Jim took the words right out of my mouth. I have an air tank ,and they are handy. Mine will go up to a 120 pounds. More than enough to get your tire round again.
I'm not one for beating on the bolts. Get some air in it and run it to a service station or tire place. They probably have these problems  all the time.
Roy

dulcidog

Thanks for all the advice- I would have filled it but there is a rip and the bead is shot
B. Lawlor
Ct

Chris Conklin

If you've already stripped the nut, use a pipe wrench and a long cheater. You may even want to tighten the other lugs back on the wheel to help relieve some pressure.
Chris Conklin