News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Radio light update

Started by gkhashem, December 30, 2023, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkhashem

I got the radio out through the glove box.

Well the bulb was not in the radio and was hanging behind the glove box liner. Also the bulb was the wrong bulb. There was a mini bulb #53 in the socket, but Sylvania online guide said #1891. The #1891 one worked so it went in.

Replaced the bulb, tested it by grounding it off the radio and it worked.

Then I decided to look for the internal bulb. It seems to be buried deeply inside since I took the top and bottom cover off the radio and could not see a bulb.

I decided not to go deeper into the radio for just a bulb.

Anyone ever replaced this inner bulb?  The one that lights up the red dot when the radio is turned on.

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Michael Petti

I have never noticed a red dot in  my original radio. I had it rebuilt by a techician that work on these for Cadillac back in the day. He would have fixed it. I vould ne wrong but don't think so. Mine is AM only. Maybe yours has FM. a red light was the sign you were on FM on mid 60ies radios. Maybe yours is from a later year.

Lexi

Quote from: Michael Petti on December 31, 2023, 08:47:45 AMI have never noticed a red dot in  my original radio. I had it rebuilt by a techician that work on these for Cadillac back in the day. He would have fixed it. I vould ne wrong but don't think so. Mine is AM only. Maybe yours has FM. a red light was the sign you were on FM on mid 60ies radios. Maybe yours is from a later year.

My '56 has that red dot that dimly lights up when the radio is on. Center of the dial is where it is. My radio is also original to the car and AM only. This red light is difficult to see in the day as competing sunshine washes it out, but at low level lighting or at night it is readily visible. Clay/Lexi

Michael Petti

I'm going to check mine first thing when it comes out of storage. Truthfully, I never have seen it.

gkhashem

Guess I am going to regret changing a bulb.

Now radio volume is very low in both speakers. Tone works also from what I can tell.

I re-seated the plug on the front speaker two or three times nothing changes.

I have taken numerous radios out of cars before and never had any issues, just plug them back in. After some fiddling around and hacking up my hands.

Now it worked before but occasionally the volume level would drop down, but I thought it was the FM converter.

I thought so since if I wiggled the converter wires the volume would come back. So I took the FM converter out thinking it needed to go but obviously it was not that since now volume is reduced all the time.

I put the FM converter back in and the same low volume whether AM through radio or FM on convertor.

I guess the radio has an issue but strange it really kicked in just by taking it out and putting it back in. >:( 

Anyone have radio repair suggestions? Or something else I am missing.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

59-in-pieces

The image I posted is from the original radio of my 59 EB.

Hope this helps to locate the red dot.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Michael Petti

I had the same issue. Had radio repaired by a retired gentleman who repaired radios for G.M. dealers back in the day.  It was a solid state piece in my case, but works great now. Maybe the stress of removal and replacement jostled something and 64 year old parts did not stand up.

Moody

I know the big transistor on the side of the radio can get blown if not properly handled. Maybe that can cause the low volume? If that's part of the signal amplifier? Not sure, but something to consider.
Moody

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: gkhashem on January 01, 2024, 10:35:31 AMGuess I am going to regret changing a bulb.

Now radio volume is very low in both speakers. Tone works also from what I can tell.

I re-seated the plug on the front speaker two or three times nothing changes.

I have taken numerous radios out of cars before and never had any issues, just plug them back in. After some fiddling around and hacking up my hands.

Now it worked before but occasionally the volume level would drop down, but I thought it was the FM converter.

I thought so since if I wiggled the converter wires the volume would come back. So I took the FM converter out thinking it needed to go but obviously it was not that since now volume is reduced all the time.

I put the FM converter back in and the same low volume whether AM through radio or FM on convertor.

I guess the radio has an issue but strange it really kicked in just by taking it out and putting it back in. >:( 

Anyone have radio repair suggestions? Or something else I am missing.

Have you checked the antenna plug?

gkhashem

Quote from: Cadillac1967inthenorth on January 02, 2024, 02:40:21 AMHave you checked the antenna plug?

Yes I checked all plugs, that's what I thought was the issue with the FM converter. But not that.

Sending the radio out this week, rebuild, then adding inside a board to add FM not going to gut out my whole radio. So no blue tooth, no stereo FM. No cutting the harness etc.

I am restoring it and adding FM to it. They change the internal light so red when on AM and amber on FM thats the only thing that would look different.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Michael Petti

You have made a good decision. With 64-year-old equipment it can be anything. I had mine done and works fine now. no FM though.

Lexi

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on January 01, 2024, 12:42:12 PMThe image I posted is from the original radio of my 59 EB.

Hope this helps to locate the red dot.

Have fun,
Steve B.

Yep. That is basically what my '56 looks like with respect to the red dot. Clay/Lexi

gkhashem

Radio back and works.

Added FM inside, fixed AM volume,caused by a short on volume knob. Wonder Bar works.

When on AM dot is red, on FM dot is amber.  You switch bands by turning power off and on quick.

I had an issue with the antenna going up (only up), clutch was kicking in. So I worked it up and put some WD-40 on the mast. Then worked it up and down.

Works smooth and easy now. I put a thin film of 10W oil on the mast, very little and seems all set.

Not sure what caused it, maybe some old dry grease inside the gearing. ????
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cadman-iac

I love these old radios and the little "quirks" they have, but I hate listening to anything on the radio anymore simply because all they play is crap.
 I don't know if it's possible, but one day I'd like to have  Bluetooth or a port added to mine so I can play what I want when I want through my phone.
 I haven't listened to a radio station in probably 30 plus years now. But I loved the way these old tube radios sounded. Too cool!!

Glad you got yours fixed the way you wanted. Sounds like a great investment.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Quote from: gkhashem on January 18, 2024, 12:46:12 PMRadio back and works.

Added FM inside, fixed AM volume,caused by a short on volume knob. Wonder Bar works.

When on AM dot is red, on FM dot is amber.  You switch bands by turning power off and on quick.

I had an issue with the antenna going up (only up), clutch was kicking in. So I worked it up and put some WD-40 on the mast. Then worked it up and down.

Works smooth and easy now. I put a thin film of 10W oil on the mast, very little and seems all set.

Not sure what caused it, maybe some old dry grease inside the gearing. ????

Great news George. Very nice. Clay/Lexi

Cadillac Jack 82

Quote from: Cadman-iac on January 18, 2024, 02:37:15 PMI love these old radios and the little "quirks" they have, but I hate listening to anything on the radio anymore simply because all they play is crap.
 I don't know if it's possible, but one day I'd like to have  Bluetooth or a port added to mine so I can play what I want when I want through my phone.
 I haven't listened to a radio station in probably 30 plus years now. But I loved the way these old tube radios sounded. Too cool!!

Glad you got yours fixed the way you wanted. Sounds like a great investment.

Rick

Some areas still play Oldies through AM stations.  Phoenix has one and if you're lucky you can pick up "The Drive" station in Tucson.  DC had a few but they slowly shut down over the years.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Cadillac Jack 82 on January 18, 2024, 03:08:07 PMSome areas still play Oldies through AM stations.  Phoenix has one and if you're lucky you can pick up "The Drive" station in Tucson.  DC had a few but they slowly shut down over the years.

I seldom go anywhere anymore nowadays except for doctors appointments. I used to listen to a station out of Willcox that still plays the old stuff, but I guess to partly the bills they're forced to play this newer $hit that just gives me a headache and heartburn.
 So years ago I just began playing cassette tapes that I made myself, and that way I didn't want to put my fist through the radio.
 Once I got my smartphone, I just play what I've downloaded and it'll switch up the order if I want it to, so it's just like listening to a radio station without the commercials and idiot disc jockeys, but more importantly, the crappy so-called "music".
 My old Suburbans have cassette players, but no Bluetooth, so I've got a cassette adapter that has a cord that will plug into my phone, and I play want I want that way.

But it would be soooo nice to just be able to turn on the radio and hear something you want. Until then, (which will probably be long after I die), I'll settle for what I'm doing now.

Rick
CLC# 32373

gkhashem

No problem getting your phone to play through an old radio. I sign in to Sirius on my phone then pair with one of these...........

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Sumind-Hands-Free/dp/B0756WZ2V3/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2N0HIWHBIMV8Z&keywords=car+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1705616467&sprefix=car+bluetooth%2Caps%2C471&sr=8-19

Then you set the FM frequency on it and the radio to an empty spot in your area and your phone plays on your car.

You see many of us for historical reasons or sentimental reasons want to keep the car as it is. That's it.

So what I have done is the least invasive way to get FM on the radio.

I can even call or receive calls with one of these.
1970 GMC C1500
1996 Oldsmobile 98

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville

Cadman-iac

Quote from: gkhashem on January 18, 2024, 05:25:52 PMNo problem getting your phone to play through an old radio. I sign in to Sirius on my phone then pair with one of these...........

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Sumind-Hands-Free/dp/B0756WZ2V3/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2N0HIWHBIMV8Z&keywords=car+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1705616467&sprefix=car+bluetooth%2Caps%2C471&sr=8-19

Then you set the FM frequency on it and the radio to an empty spot in your area and your phone plays on your car.

You see many of us for historical reasons or sentimental reasons want to keep the car as it is. That's it.

So what I have done is the least invasive way to get FM on the radio.

I can even call or receive calls with one of these.

Would this work for a strictly AM radio?
CLC# 32373