News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Fleetwood alternator and power steering

Started by Pghcc2006, February 18, 2024, 03:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pghcc2006

Good evening. Both my power steering pump and alternator are noisy and I am looking to replace. Are there any Cadillac/year specific tips , tricks or modifications needed or will standard GM parts do? Is there a maximum amp I can use with stock components and wiring? Ex update to 80/100 amp

Thank you

bcroe

I would put new bearings in the alternator, readily available.
Would not get some rebuilt that could have unknown problems. 
Check the brushes too.  Bruce Roe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Being low on power steering fluid or having air in the line 'can' cause noise in the power steering.
An old or loose belt 'can' cause noise in the alternator, and power steering too. I'm assuming your belts
are new and tight and the power steering fluid is good. (fresh/clean, proper level, no air)

Bruce's idea to rebuilt the original parts is a good one, few have the time or talent to do such. And there's
no way to know how 'good' those rebuild parts are.

The replacement parts out there are easy to get and their quality can be hit or miss.

I'm on my 2nd alternator and 2nd power steering pump, and the power steering pump was making noise when the
car came off the road this winter. They'll check the fluid (its fresh and clean) and pressure, the belts are
new Gates V-belts, its not them. If the fluid is correct just change the pump, again. They're not expensive.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Seville Life

Depending on what the noise is you should have your power steering system full of power steering fluid, not just Dexron. That is for topping up only.

You can buy GM Power Steering Fluid.

I had to change a leaking hose, forgot to do this and the pump is driving me nuts. It will get changed.
Paul Bedford

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

David,
As far as rebuilt PS pu,ps go I have always had good luck with Cardone rebuilts. In fact I just replaced the pump on my 76 CdV because it was leaking. I know, I could have rebuilt it and I do in fact have several PS pump rebuild kits, but the cost of the complete pump rally doesnt justify the labor involved. Perhaps in the (near) future when these parts are not so readily available, I will start using all the kits.
As far as an alternator is concerned, I have found failure of the diode trio to be the most common occurrence, and for that I just pull the alternator, replace the brushes and the diode trio.If you have them and a small press, the end and shaft bearings are simple to replace. This item also is inexpensive (New Remy 63 amp $92.00 at Rock Auto) so unless you have time, tools and a FSM, exchange might be best. As far as upgrading, I bought a couple of Remy 90 Amp units and had excellent success with them. All that I did was increase the size of the lead from the alternator to the battery.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-