News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Series 62 Convertible Coupe

Started by 2011DTS, October 05, 2023, 10:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2011DTS

This is outside my bandwith but this car belonged to a late member of the CLC and Potomac Region. I have been told it is an excellent car and well worth a look as the auction ends very soon. The car is currently up for auction on the Hagerty Web site.

https://www.hagerty.com/marketplace/auction/pc0gkuD110NtmxlIuVZXd

To read about the former owner and his cars see page two of the PR Newletter

http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2309Newsletter.pdf

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

How to ruin one of the best front ends ever made. If I bought that car, I'd take those butt ugly driving lights off & smash them. No... I'd sell them. Also, is there some issue with the rear springs??
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Boehm

In the link to Hagerty, scroll down to "highlights". It explains the springs were modified to give the car a sleek look.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Get rid of them along with the lights!!!

60 Special

I wonder if the rear spring shackles flipped the wrong direction, if the car was lifted by the body, at some point in time. I think I remember reading that somewhere that they will do that.  60 Special

jwwseville60

Maybe move the lights to the windshield frame? Add an LED light bar too?
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Tom Boehm

Did you look at all the pictures? There are pictures showing the front and rear springs. 

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

60 Special

Well, I have to back track on my earlier comment about Hagerty, thanks to Tom Boehm pointing out the photos of the rear suspension. I have edited my previous post. After examining the photos there are many issues going on back there. I will list them here:
1) It appears to me that the springs were overarched beyond the point that they desired.
2) To compensate for overarching the springs, they added 2" lowering blocks between the axle pad and the spring perch.
3) To compensate for the length of the lowering block, they installed longer U bolts and looks like new lower spring pads.
4) Then for some reason they added "helper" overload shocks???
5) If you look at the rear view of the spring hangers they are not straight down, but shifted side ways. Either bad bushings or the overload shocks may be contributing to this.
6) I have seen this process attempted to lower a cars ride height and when you add the lowering blocks you have to be careful that nothing hangs below the wheel rim O.D. If it does and you have a flat tire, the lowest metal part may dig into the roadway first and cause havoc trying to control the car. The official term is called the "scrub line" which is the imaginary line under the car, where nothing hangs down below the wheel rim O.D.
7) This car would have sat a lot higher in the rear (2") had they not put the blocks in, which was a result of over arching the springs.
8) Last thought, I have to believe that the rear suspension of this car is very unstable in its current configuration. The new owner should buy new replacement springs, hanger bushings and original U bolts. Throw the lowering blocks and the over load springs away.
   Thank you to Tom Boehm for pointing out the pictures! Sorry this was so lengthy, but I thought it was necessary to point out the errors that were induced into this rear suspension "mess". Obviously who ever did this work didn't know what the were doing and just complicated the effort from overarching the springs forward. 60 Special

Cadillac Jack 82

I think it looks fine the way it is albeit without some minor quirks.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper