News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil Dipstick Tube

Started by 49 Caddy, March 22, 2024, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Bought a 49 Cadillac with a seized motor that I am in the process of rebuilding.  Came without an oil dipstick and tube.  I found a used tube and dipstick, but am at a loss.  Hole in the pan is threaded and the tube I have is smooth.  Does it just press in or has someone sold me the wrong tube?  Looks the same as others I have seen.  The hole in the pan had a plastic threaded plug installed in it.

Jay Friedman

You have an "early" 1949 motor which has an early oil pan.  The dipstick and tube you found are for a "late" '49 as well as '50-'53 motors. 

Look at the VIN number which is stamped on a boss just in front of the number 2 cylinder (front cylinder on right hand or passenger side bank). The first 2 digits should be 49; the next 2 digits should be 60, 61, 62, 75 or 86 signifying the Series of the car. The last five digits of that number are the engine number. In 1949, until engine number 61621 the oil pan and dipstick assembly were "early".

On the early oil pan the dipstick is inserted into a threaded pipe which screws into the hole in the oil pan you mentioned. You will have to buy a pipe or you could have one made by a machine shop as it is not complicated.  If you decide to have it made, get back in touch with me and I'll send you the dimensions. If you try to buy it, besides ebay you could try Cadillac parts dealers Dennis Akerman or John Gately whose addresses are in the New Hampshire and Massachusetts sections of the CLC directory, respectively.  Another source would be Arizona Vintage Parts or Desert Valley Parts in Arizona.  At the same time, of course, you will have to buy an early dipstick. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Russo

I don't know what yours looks like but there are several 1949 Cadillac oil dipstick tubes advertised on eBay.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

Quote from: J. Russo on March 22, 2024, 07:52:47 PMI don't know what yours looks like but there are several 1949 Cadillac oil dipstick tubes advertised on eBay.

I just had a look on ebay and all those I saw were "late" 49 (and 50-53) dipsticks.  49Caddy needs an early dipstick. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

49 Caddy

Dimensions for that dipstick tube would be appreciated, Jay.

Jay Friedman

Glenn,

Dipstick pipe: length = 14½ inches; Outer diameter = 17/32 inches; Inner diameter = 3/8 inches.

Dipstick total length = 18¼ inches;

"Add Oil" point is 1 7/16 inches from lower end;

"Full" point is 2 5/16 inches from lower end.

Lowest 3/4 inch or so has pipe thread to screw into oil pan.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

49 Caddy

Jay Friedman

Quote from: Jay Friedman on March 24, 2024, 11:18:40 PMDipstick total length = 18¼ inches;

Glenn,

I forgot to mention the dipstick total length is calculated from the stop under the handle. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984