News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

To me it looks like the aluminum extruded lower trim is there in both pics.

The side view you can see the ribbing in the aluminum, especially where the sun is hitting the lower front fender.

In the front 3/4 view I cannot see enough detail that would show the ribbing but IMO it looks to be the color of aluminum rather than the glossy painted surface above it. It's most certainly a different color than the rest of the body, with less reflectivity.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned, or if it's significant but the side view shows a hole in the front fender for the power antenna.

Great car!

N Kahn

The screws were put in later by whoever owned it after they became loose from driving, there's no way they were installed with those ugly things at GM, but I assure you the ribbed molding is there, I have no doubt about it.

Series75

Nadeem,
regarding my earlier suggestion to seek replacement ribbed lower rocker mouldings from the Professional Car Society.  Check out Walter M.P. McCall's publication "80 years of Cadillac LaSalle" Page 334 (1959),  page 339 (1960), page 346 (1962), page 362 (1965).  The Hearses and Flower cars were fitted with "Note the ribbed lower rear fender applique ...."   These were commonly used to contrast against the black cars and draw the eye to reduce the bulky look of these vehicles.  Tom CLC#6866

N Kahn

Will have to look out for that book, thanks Tom.

g27g28

Nadeem,
There is an article in the October issue of the Self Starter which is the monthly magazine for the CLC which is entitled All in the family: A Cadillac journey written by Jerry Brochstein.  He was in the Cadillac design studio starting in the early 60's.  I did a search on here and did not find him as a member on here but he is a member of the CLC living in Detroit.  Perhaps you could contact him and ask him about your car.  Maybe someone on here has his contact information. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

R Schroeder

I saved the pictures , of the side view of the car , to a folder on my computer. I then opened it , and with my mouse wheel I can make them bigger. There is something there on the lower rocker panels that is ribbed.
You also can use the PAINT program to enlarge. It comes out the same either way.
Roy

N Kahn

The antenna is on the same spot on my car, are they in the same place on all 61-62 Caddies?

Here's the built sheet kindly cropped by South-Paw over at the 1961-62 Caddy Group he also found this photo from the Michigan University Archives, there is one big difference though, this car has no autronic eye on the dashboard.

I rebuilt my eyebrow molding enough to get a mold from, I've got to get the opposite side made from a quick prototype 3D scanner and get them cast in brass.

Barry

This is the most interesting and exciting thread EVER !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

N Kahn

Thank you Barry.

I finally got my paper build sheet and it's completely unreadable, the email copy is clearer.

N Kahn

My son and I went out to get gas this morning, her first real drive in who knows how long.

blue68deville

Nice to see it out & about. It would be hard for me to keep it in the garage too.
Clay Tynan
68 Sedan DeVille
Centennial, CO
CLC #27486

Barry

Great to see her out and driven ! How did the drive go ?
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

N Kahn

Quote from: Barry on October 07, 2012, 11:49:41 AM
Great to see her out and driven ! How did the drive go ?

Just took her out again with my best friend, our kids, and our chihuahua, Gomez, the car really runs nice, remarkably so, having been laid up for so long I would expect sticky valves, dead lifters and leaks, but so far she's been great, I'm worried she's gonna blow up.

R Schroeder

I like all the different license plates. Any of them legal..................ha
Roy

Davidinhartford

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on October 07, 2012, 08:20:04 PM
I like all the different license plates. Any of them legal..................ha
Roy

That's not very nice.   Nadeem has been very upfront with us with the documentation and restoration photos.  A fascinating read for us.   How often does a lost showcar surface?    And some of you have been less than polite here.

Gentlemen please be gentlemen.   

N Kahn

Quote from: David Smith on October 09, 2012, 10:52:05 PM
That's not very nice.   Nadeem has been very upfront with us with the documentation and restoration photos.  A fascinating read for us.   How often does a lost showcar surface?    And some of you have been less than polite here.

Gentlemen please be gentlemen.   

I think Roy was joking, I took it as one.

Got a quote back on getting the moldings re-made, $2,000...........yikes! Can this be in the ballpark? Has anyone had pieces made that were unavailable before? It's $1,000 just for the 3D quick prototype to make the driver's side one. And then there's the cost of getting them chromed.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Matt CLC#18621

Quote from: Barry on October 04, 2012, 12:45:50 PM
This is the most interesting and exciting thread EVER !

ABSOLUTELY agree, I spent 2hours reading entire thread last night.

Matt
CLC# 18621

N Kahn

It seems the mystery of where the original Le Mans hubcaps is solved, on page 86 of James Howell's Cadillac Eldorado book they appear on the top right mock up of the new 67 Eldorado. I highly doubt that GM would have remade a six year old cap, I wish I could get a high quality scan of this picture.

Davidinhartford

So the stylist kept the wheelcovers to reuse on future projects.  Then they just slapped back on the stock wheelcovers when the car was sold.    Very interesting!