News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Yes, I was kidding about the license plates. Lets not get so serious.
Nice car and a very interesting story.
Roy

Even I run an illegal plate on the front of my car. 1978 plate.

N Kahn

As of yesterday, she's legal, Hagerty wouldn't give me the coverage I was asking for, it's still a hefty amount, but I'm going to get her appraised next week and see if I can't get it increased.

I was feeling a bit down yesterday, so I snuck out and took her for a ride under the stars, first night time drive. It was wonderful, just magical...........but the instrument panel lights don't work, ha ha.

Davidinhartford

Quote from: N Kahn on October 12, 2012, 06:49:45 AM
It seems the mystery of where the original Le Mans hubcaps is solved, on page 86 of James Howell's Cadillac Eldorado book they appear on the top right mock up of the new 67 Eldorado. I highly doubt that GM would have remade a six year old cap, I wish I could get a high quality scan of this picture.

I found more pics in the December 1991 issue of Collectible automobile. 

This one (below)  from February of 1962 has one of your wheelcovers on the front and a stock one on the rear.

Here are more of the one you mentioned.   It was from November 1963 and was called the Stallion".   

N Kahn

Thank you so much, David. The crazy thing is the wheel is deeply dished and wouldn't have worked on the FWD platform which was finalized by then, how could the cap have fit in this wheel? Has it been cut down?

Curious.

N Kahn

BTW, 24 is the pic from the Cadillac Eldorado book.

Davidinhartford

I think those were non functional clay mock ups.   Probably no need to make the wheelcovers appropriate for FWD or RWD at that time.

I have the Howell book on the Eldorados too.    The photo in the December 91 Collectible Automobile magazine is the same photo, but a larger image.     I saved that issue as it had a nice feature on the Eldorados.

Th original B&W studio photo must exist.    Perhaps Jeff can get a better copy from his sources?

N Kahn

I'm going to make the moldings for my fenders from sheet steel, I've done it before and they came out beautifully. I made card templates and transferred them to sheet steel and now I have to weld them together. To make the opposite side all you have to do is flip the pieces, it's really easy. I was getting quotes upwards of $2,000 to cast these pieces. Watch this space for progress.

Pieces I've made before from scratch

And after they were chrome plated by Spacecoast Plating

Barry

If I haven't said it enough, I Love This Thread ! Thanks so such for sharing your journey ! Barry
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

R Schroeder

Sir, you are one handy guy. Parts look beautiful. The car couldnt be in better hands.
Roy

kevinanderson

First. Great find. Now as to the two additional holes next to the data plate......  When I was in college(mid 80's), I went to the area salvage yards. There was a particular yard in Sioux City, Iowa that specialized in older vehicles. In that yard was a '63 Fleetwood. I remember looking at it every time I went there. The car was loaded, including a canvas roof. And heavily stripped. And one of the most rusted out cars I've ever seen. It was a very light tan with the matching canvas roof and matching leather interior. On the cowl in board of  the data plate, was a placard attatched with two screws. It was  white plastic with a blue facing that reminded me of denim weaving. The sides were beveled to reveal a boarder of the white plastic. And embossed into the placard, down to the white plastic, it stated "1964 Cadillac Firemist Saddle".  I removed it and have it somewhere. I remembered thinking what a beautiful car, and  perhaps it had been a demonstrator. It disappeared shortly after that.
Kevin

N Kahn

Wow, cool story, I'll have to find info on that car.

Well the attempt to make the pieces out of sheet steel failed, there was no way to weld the inside of the curve with satisfactory results, it looks like I'll have to shell out cash money.

INTMD8

Do you have a picture of the area you were having trouble with?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sorry to hear that. Still, it takes tremendous talent to accomplish what you have been able thus far. My hat is off to you Nadeem!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

N Kahn

Hold the phones.

Success, off to the platers.

After looking at the passenger side molding I realized that it can be welded up so I took it to Badger Welding and they fixed it up for $40. I ground it smooth and it's ready to get plated. I took another shot at making the driver's side molding and instead of using brake line to make the inside curve I formed it with plain sheet metal, it came out pretty darn good, there's a divot or two in the area where the molding is painted but the area that gets chrome is really nice..........this piece cost nothing, well I did run out of shielding gas, that was $52.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations, that is a piece of art.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry

Really enjoy keeping up with the progress !! Thanks for sharing it with us !!
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

N Kahn

Took her out for a drive on Sunday, the tires are well and truly shot, the car was shaking like mad, pretty sure the treads are separating, no more driving until I get new tires which I ordered from Coker.

N Kahn

Not much to report on the Caddy. I got my grille bar back from Spacecoast Platers, they are so good I've never had to return a piece because I was unhappy.
Gonna get my tires from Coker next weekend and I'll fix my wheel cylinders and master cylinder whilst I have the wheels off.

Before

After

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry

AMAZING ! Please keep us posted ! This is such an interesting thread to me and I thank you for sharing it !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman