News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help with 1956 and 55 convertible top rail rebuild kit!

Started by kkarrer, September 16, 2015, 02:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
     I'm working on a couple of Eldorados (again) and need to get the convertible top rail pieces rechromed.  Taking them apart and getting them rechromed and repainted (the black parts) is no problem, but some of the parts that hold the rails (scissor mechanism) together are big rivets.  There are also screws, plastic bushings, spring washers, and regular washers.  I was able to find a kit for the last Eldo that I built, but I lost the packaging and now I can't find a source on the internet or anywhere else.  I've only been able to find kits for the 60's and 70's cars.  Can anyone help me out with a source for rebuilding the 55 and 56 convertible tops?  Many of these cars have been recently restored so you'd figure there is bound to be a source.  Mostly the stainless rivets and plastic bushings (they look like a plastic washer with a short neck where the hole is) are what's problematic.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer CenTex Regional Dir.
512-626-7268
kkarrer@austin.rr.com
1955 convertible coupe, 1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Ken,

Try these guys, I'm not sure they have the rivets but it looks like they sell everything else.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CBK001

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

kkarrer

Mike,
    I've bought a lot of stuff from Fusick over the years.  Their plug wires are the best.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.  I know someone makes a kit for these top rails because I had one for the last Eldo that I restored, but I don't think it was Fusick.  We'll see and I'll report back.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer  CenTex Director
1955 convertible coupe, 195 Eldorado Biarritz

Roger Zimmermann

Many years ago, I got a kit from Mastermind. However, I don't know if they are still available from that source.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101