News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1940 Cadillac Limo

Started by Weetus, January 12, 2021, 03:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weetus

Hi All,

I have an old caddy that I need to sell and am looking for some feedback and taking offers before it goes on eBay. From researching the number plates it’s a 1940 Limo (40-7559). This car was somehow acquired by my uncle a long time ago but is basically now abandoned on a friend’s property and needs to go. I’m positive my uncle never actually owned the car (probably traded a friend some other old car for it), and I checked online but the license plate doesn’t show up in the DMV records. There is no engine, but the interior seems to be in pretty good shape.

I’m not 100% sure of the process in selling a barn find like this, but there is no pink slip so paperwork and reg is the responsibility of the buyer. It has to be sold asap, and I’ll put it one eBay shortly if nobody here is interested.  Any input is appreciated and I’ll entertain all offers. The car is located in the East Bay, Northern California and buyer has to arrange pickup/towing.

Happy to answer any questions. Link to photo album below.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F43Ki8vJENAco4RJ6

Thanks,
Kevin

Mike Baillargeon #15848

This is a formal sedan and Cadillac made just 48 of these in 1940...

It looks like it spent one too many decades outside but it isn't all smashed up....lots of decent parts there...

Good luck Kevin with the sale....I wish I was closer, because I'm looking at some parts I could use right now....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

DBDB

If I was not in Belgium i would buy your car .i am in the process of buying a 60special 1940and down here you cannot find one part for such car .i would like to buy a outside sun visor  for that car also  .Hope somebody will pick it up so something will be done with it .

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

That car is way too rare to be parted out at this time. To sell it correctly, it needs to be put inside & a title generated. I can make suggestions privately. Bobscads@comcast.net, Can anyone read the body #?.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bobby B

Quote from: Weetus on January 12, 2021, 03:07:32 PM
There is no engine, but the interior seems to be in pretty good shape.......

I need to sit down for a Bit and Digest this........
                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on January 12, 2021, 07:03:21 PM
That car is way too rare to be parted out at this time. To sell it correctly, it needs to be put inside & a title generated. I can make suggestions privately. Bobscads@comcast.net, Can anyone read the body #?.
Bob

Bob, it looks like body #13

Sell me on why this should be restored...the challenge?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

I suppose that there aren't many left?   But, bringing one back to life will lessen the value of those that remain.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

It's a little one owner car...

Not for the faint of heart.

It doesn't look like a parts car to me.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

In it's day it must have been an impressive car....

The owner in the back seat would have had a hand held microphone that he used to talk to the driver when the divider window was up.....you can see the speaker over the drivers head on his side of the glass....

The exterior top must have been all leather....all black car.....no side mounts on this one, I think that's unusual....

It must have been something to see...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Bobby B

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on January 12, 2021, 10:42:27 PM
It must have been something to see...

A real sight for sore eyes, and deep pockets. I hail anyone taking this on, as you are definitely a better man than I. I've learned my lessons the hard way. No disrespect, just a reality check.
                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Weetus

Thanks for chiming in, everyone. That's really cool about the intercom between the driver and passenger. The divider window still rolls up and down!

I believe it is body #13. I realize that the right way to sell it is to get a title, but nobody here has the time, patience or money to do all that, much less restore it. It really just has to move.

It sounds like this is a pretty intimidating project, even for the hardcore Caddy guys:) Looks like I'll be throwing it up on eBay with no reserve tomorrow morning.

Thx,
Kevin

chrisntam

Best of luck with the sale!
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

harry s

Quote from: Weetus on January 12, 2021, 11:18:48 PM
Thanks for chiming in, everyone. That's really cool about the intercom between the driver and passenger. The divider window still rolls up and down!

I believe it is body #13. I realize that the right way to sell it is to get a title, but nobody here has the time, patience or money to do all that, much less restore it. It really just has to move.

It sounds like this is a pretty intimidating project, even for the hardcore Caddy guys:) Looks like I'll be throwing it up on eBay with no reserve tomorrow morning.

Thx,
Kevin
Kevin, Give us the link when you put it on ebay. The excitement of a no reserve auction can be a good motivator. Good Luck,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Weetus

Hey All,

Thanks again for all the feedback. EBay link here:

http://ebay.us/RTT1FA?cmpnId=5338273189

Kevin

M. Bankes

Damn I’m too far away, any one out in the area able to help arrange moving and storage of the car until transport can be arranged ?

Weetus

Quote from: M. Bankes on January 13, 2021, 05:39:23 PM
Damn I’m too far away, any one out in the area able to help arrange moving and storage of the car until transport can be arranged ?

I might be able to help you work something out. Email me at weetusemail addresses not permitted

harry s

Looking good so far.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

I agree. It would be interesting to know what it's fate will be.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195