News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado Steering Wheel Inlay

Started by danjarrett1, April 13, 2024, 03:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Does anyone have a suggestion on who restores inlays on the steering wheels? Say a video on a guy that suppposidlyndoes it, but it was dated 2005. Any suggestions? Thanks
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a guy who sells a reproduction "wood like" inlay
to replace your broken one.  Here's his U-Tube video as
to how that works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-kFOoEjCA

I've never tried this but I've heard his repro
is very good.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

danjarrett1

Thanks Mike. I found a guy that makes them, ordered it today, $325 plus shipping. Seemed pricey but not everyone can produce them.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

TJ Hopland

Usually what seems to make the 'wood' crack and fall out is cracks in the wheel itself.  Or is yours cracked and you are hoping just replacing the wood will be good enough for your needs. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

SaltLife97

I can vouch for the aforementioned guy! Well WELL worth the $325! The quality is insanely good down to the chrome pinstriping. It makes a WORLD of a difference. This is my wheel although I fixed the cracks myself but you can tell the inlay makes a difference.

danjarrett1

Yes, great guy, he is shipping one today to me. Looking forward to installing. Getting the old one out was a mess, he suggested taking to 1000 grit sandpaper and smoothing it out along with polishing with a  little cutting rubbing compound. Should be here in a few days via FedEx
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

TJ Hopland

How/what did you use to fill in the cracks?

danjarrett1

The replacement inlay that is being sent does not have a "T-configuration like the factory does. It's flush with the first trim detentions and held in place with adhesive tape as I understand it
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

SaltLife97

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 16, 2024, 08:14:01 PMHow/what did you use to fill in the cracks?

After first prepping the cracks with a dremel and making a V cut along the edge of the cracks, I used a two part epoxy putty stick that hardens like rock within minutes. After which I sanded down the excess with the shape of the steering wheel going up in grit until you couldn't tell the difference. Then paint and clearcoat!

TJ Hopland

Quote from: SaltLife97 on April 17, 2024, 06:50:52 PMThen paint and clearcoat!

I presume you did the whole wheel?  Paint, inlay, then clearcoat over the inlay? What paint did you use?   And how much driving have you done so far and is the paint showing any signs of issues?

danjarrett1

Just the inlay, w]the wheel itself is in great shape. Going to wet sand it a little around the inlay to cleanup the area, light rubbing compound to polish it out. No crack in the wheels itself. Inlay should be delivered today
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

SaltLife97

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 17, 2024, 11:33:39 PMI presume you did the whole wheel?  Paint, inlay, then clearcoat over the inlay? What paint did you use?   And how much driving have you done so far and is the paint showing any signs of issues?

Correct, where ever there were minor cracks s well I dremeled a "valley" and filled, sanded, primed. The inlay went on last and I did not cleat coat it honestly. Paint was Firethorn Red GM code in an aerosol can and it looks great after a few coats of paint, and nearly 4 or 6 coats of clearcoat! No bubbling and it looks nice and smooth. Since then I've used it in the Florida sun many times and it has not shown sign of wear. The wheel looks brand new since Janurary now!

TJ Hopland

Interesting, I would have considered coating the inlay too.  Also interesting that the inlay still fit with all those layers of paint and clear coat. Seems like a really good option.  I would imagine if you decided it wasn't good enough you could still send it to one of the resto places.  I assume they remove all the old plastic and take it down to the metal frame so having some 'failed' repairs wound not effect what they do.

danjarrett1

That's true, but I think this will work, will install new inlay this weekend
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado