News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

`29 La Salle Horn Question

Started by NH LaSalle, November 13, 2020, 04:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH LaSalle

In the way of a brief backstory, as part of my restoration, I had the horn for my `29 La Salle 328 8550 professionally refurbished and it worked well on the bench.  Now that it is installed on the car, however, when I depress the horn button all that it emits is a rather very transient and extremely feeble bleat.  According to my meter, there are 6 volts in the harness's hot wire at the horn and in the wire that returns to the junction/switch at the base of the steering column.

If I run a jumper wire from the battery directly to the horn and use this as the power source, when I depress the horn button the horn works perfectly every time, indicating that the ground at the steering wheel is functional.  I cannot figure out why the horn works perfectly with the 6 volts from the direct jumper wire but will not function with the 6 volts from the harness wire.

Any help would be appreciated.

J. Gomez

Horns requires a good solid power connection as they are heavy loads to operate correctly.

Although you may have 6V at the main connection it may not be a good strong source for the horn to operate. If you connect the voltmeter at that connection and try to operate the horn, the reading would probably drop considerable this would indicate an issue from the main source.

I believe there is a CB (circuit breaker) which supplies power to other sources at the main dash terminal block. The horn and main body feed are tight to terminal #1 according to the wiring diagram maybe that would be the first thing to check.

Placing the voltmeter at each of these connections and operating the horn should give you the source of the problem when the meter no longer drops.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082