News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer cable

Started by Daffer, March 01, 2024, 11:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffer

Hi everyone, hoping to get some help on the removal of my speedometer cable in my 1950 cadillac series 62 I understand where to unscrew it but how do I get it through the fire wall? The rubber grommet has multiple wires coming through it plus the speedometer cable. Any help is appreciated, thanks! Joshua

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

unscrew the two bolts holing the metal frame (around the rubber grommet) and when you remove the grommet you will see he grommet has slots enabling you to remove and replace the speedo cable.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Daffer

Thank you for the help! I'll be replacing it this week, so I'll update this thread to say how it went. Thanks again, Joshua

Joe Jensen

If that rubber grommet is original it might start crumbling.  You might consider replacing it since reproductions are available.

Good luck,
Joe

Jon S

Why are you replacing the cable and cable housing?  Normally you just lubricate the cable by pulling it out of the housing, cleaning it and lubricating it with graphite and oil and reinsert it.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Daffer

Quote from: Jon S on March 02, 2024, 05:00:32 PMWhy are you replacing the cable and cable housing?  Normally you just lubricate the cable by pulling it out of the housing, cleaning it and lubricating it with graphite and oil and reinsert it.
I'm completely new to this so I didn't think of that, but it sound much easier to do. I'm guessing I have to unscrew both ends to pull it out? Also is there anyway to unscrew the cable under the instrument panel without having to remove the cluster because it's proving to be a challenge thanks, Joshua

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like you don't have a Shop Manual for your car.

The way to get to the speedo end is to find the easiest place to reach up under the dash board and get to the end of the Speedo Cable.

If I remember correctly, back then, it was a simple knurled "nut" that had to be undone with fingers, and then pulled back slightly to disconnect the inner cable, then manouvre it downward to gain access to the inner cable and withdraw it.

There is no need to remove the cable from the Transmission, as the inner will always go back in with a bit of twisting as you push it.

Best have a helper so that the slack can be kept from resting on parts you don't want covered with grease.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daffer

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 02, 2024, 06:14:17 PMSounds like you don't have a Shop Manual for your car....

I appreciate that information! I do have the shop manual but I tried looking for info on removal and I can't find it anywhere. I'll definitely try again to reach the cable it's a bit of a challenge when being upside down under the dash 😂
Thanks, Joshua

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Daffer on March 02, 2024, 06:46:25 PMI appreciate that information! I do have the shop manual but I tried looking for info on removal and I can't find it anywhere. I'll definitely try again to reach the cable it's a bit of a challenge when being upside down under the dash 😂
Thanks, Joshua
What I do is have a quick look, and even with a mirror, to see where everything is, and what is in the way, then, without contorting too much, reach under, whilst looking at the dashboard, and feel around.

But, I suppose that was back when I was more nimbler, and younger.

I figure that it is easier to remove the cable from the back of the speedo, than trying to pull the dash out, as there is only one thing to undo, as against everything else, then having to put everything back together.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daffer

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on March 02, 2024, 07:38:03 PMWhat I do is have a quick look, and even with a mirror, to see where everything is, and what is in the way, then, without contorting too much, reach under, whilst looking at the dashboard, and feel around.

But, I suppose that was back when I was more nimbler, and younger.

I figure that it is easier to remove the cable from the back of the speedo, than trying to pull the dash out, as there is only one thing to undo, as against everything else, then having to put everything back together.

I'll definitely be trying to reach it tomorrow 😂 thanks for the advice though definitely saves me money and time
-Joshua

Daffer

Ok so I was able to unscrew the cable behind the dash I tried to pull the middle out and nothing so I had to unscrew it from tge transmission aswell to pull the inside through. My question now is, what grease to use? I was told graphite but which type the gel liquid one or the spray version which is better?
Thanks, Joshua

35-709

NAPA Sil-Glyde is one I see often recommended, also recommended is white lithium grease (what I use) --- NAPA will have that also.  One concern is, if you live in an area that gets very cold, you don't want to use something that will thicken when the temperature is low. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Daffer

Quote from: 35-709 on March 03, 2024, 07:21:52 PMNAPA Sil-Glyde is one I see often recommended, also recommended is white lithium grease (what I use) --- NAPA will have that also.  One concern is, if you live in an area that gets very cold, you don't want to use something that will thicken when the temperature is low. 
Ok thanks for the info, I live in tge Midwest just this past January it got down to -27 degrees but the car is garaged, so woukd both of those greases be good in Midwest temperatures?
Thanks, Joshua

35-709

The Sil-Glyde would be OK.  If you only use the car in warmer weather then it shouldn't matter.  Someone else will have to chime in here --- I'm in Florida.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2