News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Questions

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963, December 08, 2005, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

My new car has a couple of problems I would like some opinions on :

1. the radio smokes when on.  This is a bad thing, right?  What could be the problem?

2. the wipers work fine, but the switch is very hard to turn off.  New switch needed?

3. hot water flows to the heater core from the engine, but the heater only blows cool.
    What could the problem be?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Randall,

Welcome to your new car.

(1)   Now, Smoking radio?   Shouldnt smoke.   Radios have filters, but they arent the smoking type.   Turn it off.

(2)   Wiper switch tight?   Might just want lubricating?   May be tight through lack of use.  

(3)   Hot water flows to Heater.   Now, if you remove the return hose, and block off the engine side of the heater return hose, does water come out of the heater?   If not, the internal tap might be stuck closed, or there is a blockage in the hose/heater core.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

Thank you, Bruce.  :/

I have not yet received the car but this is what I heard were the main problems.
The heater idea is a good one.  The radio I suspected was a short but who knows.
The wiper switch?  eh your guess is as good as anyones.

JIM CLC # 15000

12-08-05
Randall, Good questions
  #1 If the radio is the origional, Its old enough to smoke. LOL (Dont know, but would not turn-on). # 2. Is it a vacuum switch, or electric?  The correct lube for the switch will not hurt.
#3 Sounds like it has AIR traped in the heater coil. You can bleed it out. Back-off (DO NOT REMOVE) the upper hose about 1/2, drill a small hole in the heater-coil copper tubing, when the coolent starts to flow-out, put heater-hose back in place and tighten hose clamp.  Congrats on the new car! (An early Christmas present ???)
Good Luck,hope you only receive GOOD TIPS, Jim

Thank you, Jim!  And yes it is.  While pulling funds together for my 56, my son decided that I needed a driver that was a 56 Cadillac 6219.  He found a beautiful sedan, with few options (radio, antenna, fog lamps), roll up windows, no autronic eye; just the opposite to the car in restoration.  This car runs and has 46,000 original miles on it.
It is white, with blue top; white and blue interior.  

That is about all I know about the car, except that it is coming in by Christmas on a FedEx specialty truck.  I am hoping it is everything it has been described as since I will have to sell the 1977 Eldorado to help finance a portion of it.  I am looking forward to having it as a daily driver and project.

Doug Houston

From an old 56 Cadillac owner of many decades........well, a couple, anyway.

My first 56 ragtop was bought in 1858. It had about 15000 miles on it, so the speed clock said. The wiper motor had a coordinator on it, which operated the washer for a time period, then shut off the wipers; or so it was intended. Mine hung up if I were foolish enough to ues the washers, so I bought a new coordinator from Cadillac. It was just as bad. The bottom line was that Trico did a lousy job of designing the wiper-washer system. It developed that it was best to leave the d---ed coordinator off.

Now, on the radio. if smoke comes out, there may already be fatal damage to the set, There should be a 7.5 ampere fuse in the line somewhere, and it should have blown before smoking. You could have lost the power transformer, but maybe not if youre lucky. Find a honest radio guy (not easy), and have all of the capacitors in the radio replaced. They deteriorate with age, and while the radio may work as is (other than that short), it will eventually stop working. The search tuner is especially sensitive to old capacitors, and may not work, even now.

While there were many nice model years for Cadillacs, I have a soft spot in my head for the 56 jobs. I now have my second convertible, and its awaiting restoration. I bought my first one when I was 29, and did I ever enjoy it!

Thanks for your input, Doug.  I know I will enjoy this car. In fact I do know someone I have used before out in California who is a whiz at radios.  Sounds to me like there may be an electrical problem.  Hmmm.  Turn signals are now reported not working.
I wonder if anyone checked the fuse box?  Well the car is going into Rickenbaughs in Denver for a once over when she hits town, so we will know then.

I do not know if the wiper washer works (dont say that five times fast).  The only problem appears to be the switch itself.  Lubrication is the first thing to try.

Its a 49 year old honey and will need lots of TLC.  Im just the guy to give it to her, too.
Thanks again!

David #19063

Hey Randall,

Its 50 years old, the 2006s are out.

David

ACK!  Dont say that!  I was born in 1956 ... I still have 6 months before I turn 50!!!

David #19063

Well, youre still 49, but the Cadillac is 50!