News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

3800 mile 73 CDV

Started by jwwseville60, August 25, 2023, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Rare trifecta of very high condition, very low mileage and ultimate color combination. Even the tires are original.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bryan J Moran

I can only agree with both of you BUT why is the data tag rusted or whatever on that one edge?
CLC 35000 in number only

gkhashem

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

badpoints

I see a lot of spray can over spray for a car with 3800 miles. They should of left it original.

wrefakis

photos of this poorly stored rusty car were all over facebook last month with history prior to full walmart rattle can restoration

Bryan J Moran

Not sure what was rattle canned.  Not the body or interior. Also, unless they pulled the Facebook links I would add them here for reference.   
CLC 35000 in number only

gkhashem

I think Bill is saying the undercarriage and the body tag were rattle canned. This most likely was due to a damp garage or such. Therefore the poor storage reference. Notice the exhaust and drive shaft have surface rust but  nothing else.

Trunk lip and bottoms of doors look fine. Maybe they painted the engine since often the dampness gets into the engine compartment,hence the body tag?? I see a hose that has paint on the lower end with paint on the clamp, not sure this was common on build. Exhaust manifold looks silver too, looks painted maybe? Hood rubber bumpers look crusty on edges. Rattle can paint on it or cracked rubber?

Also in 1975 it had 3436 miles so it has gone 370 miles in 48 years! Must have need some fuel system work done on this one. At least you have another 36000 miles left on the tire warranty.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Body tags were painted black in this era. I have no idea how the corner got chewed off.

Years ago there was another one of these in Brooklyn in the same colors with similar mileage that a friend looked at. The car was perfect until the owner sent it to FL where in no time the owner told him it "got measles" with rust blisters all over the body. When I showed him this listing, he said he was certain it was not the same car, plus the mileage was higher. To his knowledge, the other car had been sold to a buyer in Chicago.

badpoints

What is a paint correction? Change to correct color?

Quote from: badpoints on August 26, 2023, 12:04:58 PMWhat is a paint correction? Change to correct color?

It's a just trendy way of saying the finish was rejuvenated by whatever means, ie: sanding, clay bar, compounding, polish, glaze, wax etc. 

V63

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 25, 2023, 06:53:51 PMBody tags were painted black in this era. I have no idea how the corner got chewed off.

Sadly, That is moisture corrosion on the data plate , that said... it's the same moisture that that maintained the leather and soft goods, so it's all in perspective
 take the good with the bad.

Quote from: V63 on August 26, 2023, 07:28:27 PMSadly, That is moisture corrosion on the data plate , that said... it's the same moisture that that maintained the leather and soft goods, so it's all in perspective
 take the good with the bad.

I'd expect the body to have rusted long before the tag if the car was subjected to that kind of moisture. I've seen decrepit heaps whose body tags don't look like this. It's a mystery. 

76Caddy

While at the beach weekend before last, I went to Competition Cars and saw this car in person and it is gorgeous.  He also has a '76 Eldo convertible in excellent condition.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

Bryan J Moran

Did you ask what the deal is with the fresh black paint ?
CLC 35000 in number only

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on August 30, 2023, 06:21:32 PMDid you ask what the deal is with the fresh black paint ?

What fresh black paint do you mean?

Bryan J Moran

Wrefrakis wrote further up -

"photos of this poorly stored rusty car were all over facebook last month with history prior to full walmart rattle can restoration"
CLC 35000 in number only

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on August 31, 2023, 07:26:42 AMWrefrakis wrote further up -

"photos of this poorly stored rusty car were all over facebook last month with history prior to full walmart rattle can restoration"

I think that was referring to the undercarriage and/or engine compartment.

badpoints

Wow, sold for 51000. Is it worth that much even if the 3800 miles is real. You can clearly see that a lot of rust was covered under the car with paint. I don't think that it is museum quality.