News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Disc Brake

Started by MIKIMBIN1, February 15, 2024, 10:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKIMBIN1

Hi
I have a 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood, when I bought it it already had front disc brakes but with a aftermarket dual MC and an booster. I want to leave the front discs but put the 1959 Factory Bendix booster and I have been told that I can put the 62 or 63 Bendix dual MC and I think I should put the proportioning valve. what do you think about this. I want to give the old look to the pump and the booster.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Here some pictures
Vic Fdez
Vic@59Caddy.me

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Victor,

The only reason to install a proportioning valve in the rear line is it the rear brakes are locking up when braking hard, causing the rear to try and overtake the front.

The best way to get it right is to use an adjustable valve so that the amount of pressure can be sent to the back to limit the chance of locking up under any event, even in panic braking.

All the rear brakes really do is to retard the rear wheels when braking so the rear of the car stays in a line behind the front.   Plus, control the brake actuation when in parking the car, as in an emergency brake.

Without knowing the wheel cylinder diameters, it is impossible to work out a fixed valve to stop the locking up, as Factories can spend millions of Dollars making them.   Us poor modifiers cannot do that as we don't have the funds to do things like crash-testing.

When I built my own Disc Brake conversions, I experimented with different size rear wheel cylinders, and in one car, sleeved the cylinder in a '68 Chev Impala rear to 3/4" from 1".   But, still used a fixed proportioning valve.   Plus, ran a Dual Master Cylinder and both circuits were boosted via a Vacuum Booster.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon