News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My 1947 6107

Started by CRAIG LEWIS, August 18, 2010, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRAIG LEWIS

By the way I am in need of rear fender spears and fender skirts if anyone has any they would part with.

Otto Skorzeny

If you can't find the spears, contact Northfield Forming and Machine. They will make new stainless trim for you.

Their contact info is in the link below.

For somebody learning as he goes, you're a quick study. Your work looks great.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

57flw

Craig,

Your car is looking great.

Keep up the good work.

Ken

Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Jim Thompson

Nice work, really enjoying the resto. I wish I could have found a 2 door 46 when I bought, but I couldn't find one. Had to settle for a nice 4 door fastback. Keep posting pics.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

CRAIG LEWIS

Been wworking on trim and chrome for a bit. a real challenge. My trunk handle and assembly were in bad shape the housing was cracked along the top and when I removed it I discovered the housing backing plate was completely broken in half. I have spent several years looking for a replacement that was any good for core. No luck sooo I figured I might as well give repair a try. Now the backing plate is pot metal and my chrome guy pretty much said no way. I did some research and found a product called muggyweld which claims to fix broken pot metal and have structural strenght to boot. I ordered a starter kit for $60 and gave it a try. I must say it works and I am very pleased with the results. while witing for the product to arrive I had my chromer dechrome the parts in preperation for repair. The muggy weld came and I got right to it.  It takes some playing with to get it right but it is strong and files down easily. It is much like leading in body work which I have never done, but think I will experiment with that next since thye now have leading product that have no lead(???).  In the pictures you can see it is not pretty to start with, I got so excited to try it out I did not take pictures of the brekage but you can get the idea from the repair area.
I was pretty generous with the stuff and it does sand down with a dremel and then flies nicely with metal files.

CRAIG LEWIS

Here you can see the back and housing fitted and the repairs complete and sanded down. The top of the housing was cracked and had expanded a bit and the back piece whifh is pot metal of course was also deformed from expansion and the break so alignment is not perfect as it was when manufactured. It is by no means show quality but it is presentable and funtions. As you can see once it was chromed it is certainly driver quality. The chrome guy was stunned by how well it worked.

Otto Skorzeny

Very well done, Craig. Probably better than finding a brittle replacement.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Nice work, Craig.  Thanks for posting that.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Coupedeville

Craig

If i were a show judge i'd give you points for efforts!

Well done, it looks great,

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

ILM69Cadillac

That car is going to be great when its done!!
1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan, Black
Torin Kirkpatrick
Member# 21289

Paul Tesone

Craig - lets have some new photos . You're doing such a great job . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

CRAIG LEWIS

Not much work done since September. Been too busy to work on it. Now it is too hot here in Arizona. Here is as far as I got since last posting.
worked on front clip a bit and put the front seat frame and steering in have been working on some more chrome. The Hood Ornament has been a real project sucking up many hours since it is heavily pitted. I have had to stike it in copper about a dozen times and sand it down to smooth it right. I even took my dremel and recarved the face fearures since they washed out with all the plating. I will post some pictures of that soon.

CRAIG LEWIS

Well I have not been able to keep on a the pace I had hoped. By now my wife has given up hope of ever riding in this beast. I just had my 4th grandchild and expect they may be graduating high school before this is done. I am currently piceing together the wiring , and having my interior dash and garnish hydro dipped. Since my last post i had mocked the car up and drove it about a block just to say I did. It is now back apart and off the frame so I can jamb it and fine tune the body work as well as get the wiring. Here are a few pics of the tub as I jamb it in. Had to put it back on the rotisserie to do the underside. Never painted a car before lots of learning on this. Learned alot primering but finish is seriously stressful. Using single stage for the jamb areas. seemed to go on easily. Slight orange peel ( I am learning after all which after a couple days cure I color sanded smooth and shot another coat on came out good enough for government work (lol)!
I will post again when I get the dash and parts back from hydrodipper.

CRAIG LEWIS

Wow been almost a year. Well little progress is better than no progress. Body is back on frame and wiring loom is installed. Thanks to the folks at Rhode Island the loom was an easy install. wires are exactly as factory and tracers match up perfect with the factory diagram. They do provide a set of instructions showing which wires are what which helps alot as well. Marked my wires before installing so it went pretty fast.

CRAIG LEWIS

i promised pics of the hydrodipped dash. took the guys way to long to get this done but it dud come out amazing. All the garnish molding matches and the grain is really nice. Probably not as originally done by the factory but I saw so many examples of different grains on show cars  and I am not going for points on this anyway. I liked this pattern.The picture showing it installed with the guages doesn't do it justice.