News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Started by chstitans42, September 27, 2013, 12:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradow1

Hey Ben,

Good Afternoon!

I found the trail of updates on the 1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville today and am impressed! I'm glad you are in the process of saving her for the future! 

I'm a Cadillac La Salle Club member in Charlotte, North Carolina, but grew up in Garland, Texas.  I'd suggest you try to reach Wilson Auto for the transmission.  They have a website, as follows:

http://www.wilsonauto.com/classic-car-repair/transmission/

They may be reached at : (972) 271-3579

They are very reputable and work on Classic car transmissions.  I have no idea as to cost, but I am sure they are competitive with pricing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

I've never had one that old, but have owned dozens upon dozens of Cadillacs from the 1980's over the years.  I look forward to having a '50's Cadillac soon!

Regards,

Travis Dowell
Travis Dowell
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
1968 Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan
1956 Sedan deVille
2023 CT4-V Blackwing

chstitans42

Quote from: tradow1 on January 05, 2014, 12:39:24 PM
Hey Ben,

Good Afternoon!

I found the trail of updates on the 1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville today and am impressed! I'm glad you are in the process of saving her for the future! 

I'm a Cadillac La Salle Club member in Charlotte, North Carolina, but grew up in Garland, Texas.  I'd suggest you try to reach Wilson Auto for the transmission.  They have a website, as follows:

http://www.wilsonauto.com/classic-car-repair/transmission/

They may be reached at : (972) 271-3579

They are very reputable and work on Classic car transmissions.  I have no idea as to cost, but I am sure they are competitive with pricing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

I've never had one that old, but have owned dozens upon dozens of Cadillacs from the 1980's over the years.  I look forward to having a '50's Cadillac soon!

Regards,

Travis Dowell

I will have to call them in the morning and see what they say. Hopefully it will not be too much!

chstitans42

Small update for today. I called around a few transmission shops and had one of two results:
1. They do not work on anything this old
2. They wanted like $3500 to even consider it.

I had the same results until I called a friend who referred me to a retired Dallas Transmission builder named Irby Westmorland. He used to have a transmission shop near downtown Dallas and worked there for forty years until the city bought his land. He said he has build hundreds of these Caddy trasmissions and even refuses to use the Chinese parts. He quoted me $1200 to $1500 to do a total rebuild on it. Does any one know of him? He is the best lead I have so far and will go with him.

J. Gomez

Ben,

It seems you have received similar quotes as I did way back from several trans shops around town.   ;D

From your comments it looks like Mr. Westmorland is an “old fart” who knows how to spell Hydramatic/Jetaway. I can tell you I had nothing but great luck with old farts like him, since I’m getting there myself.  :D

If he quoted you $1200 - $1500 and he supplies the parts, you hit the jackpot. Most likely he will go with the Fastco master kit which I about $340 so the rest would be time and labor.  8)

Just go and check him out probably he may had set shop at his garage, and he has the proper tools to get it done.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

chstitans42

Hey guys I am looking for some hard to find parts! Please watch this video and let me know if you have any of them. Thanks
http://youtu.be/eHzyNBkYWp0

tradow1

Hey Ben,

Sorry my lead for Wilson Auto for you didn't pan out, but sounds as if Westmorland is the ticket.  I would definitely jump on it, as you already have.  Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.  Watched the latest video but don't have any of the parts you need for the '56, but will check around and advise.

Travis
Travis Dowell
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
1968 Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan
1956 Sedan deVille
2023 CT4-V Blackwing

chstitans42

Quote from: tradow1 on January 09, 2014, 07:55:46 PM
Hey Ben,

Sorry my lead for Wilson Auto for you didn't pan out, but sounds as if Westmorland is the ticket.  I would definitely jump on it, as you already have.  Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.  Watched the latest video but don't have any of the parts you need for the '56, but will check around and advise.

Travis
Hey it is all good. Most leads are dead ends anyways. If you do find some parts for me, that would be GREAT.

chstitans42

Found a 1955 penny under the sound barrier inside my '56 Caddy. Pretty cool considering that it probably was put there by an assembly line worker, and has not moved from that spot for 58 years

chstitans42

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

chstitans42

chstitans42

A little bit of inspiration that I found on ebay. It is an exact clone of my car.

chstitans42

So in other good news, I got my transmission back from the rebuilder, and after a new coat of paint it will be ready to throw in the car. I just have to wait on the radiator to be rebuilt and the engine show to finish up. My goal is running and driving dependably by the end of May!

chstitans42

chstitans42

More painting done yesterday. Sadly I forgot to take pics of the oil filter canister and power steering pump all painted and looking new again...

hudson29

What a great resto blog. I like the fact that you are on a budget and must try to make your $ go as far as possible. There are many of us who can learn from the solutions you have come to. Keep the reports coming!

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

chstitans42

chstitans42

chstitans42

I pulled the drums off the car to check the brakes and see what I was going to have to work with, and the only thing that bothered me is this driver's side spindle. These marks catch my fingernail when moved across them. Should I replace it? or do you think I can get by using this spindle?