News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Project - 1968 DeVille Convertible

Started by dwbic, June 15, 2014, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyDeVille

1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

dwbic

Got the hood, front fenders and front bumper installed and aligned. 

Don
Don

DaddyDeVille

Quote from: dwbic on April 24, 2018, 09:11:43 AM
Got the hood, front fenders and front bumper installed and aligned. 
Don

Hi Don,  would you mind taking a picture where the fender meets the door and the hood meets that cowel?  The guy that did mine put more shims in it than a door in a late 70s split level house that went through an earthquake.  I'm interested in the gap to see how far out of wack mine is. :)

thx!
Charles
1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

dwbic

Charles,

Here are a couple pictures of the gaps and shims. 

Driver Side - 1 Shim

Driver Side Gaps

Driver Side Match up of Body Line

Driver Side Gap

Passenger Side - 2 Shims

Passenger Side Gaps

Passenger Side Match up of Body Line

Passenger Side Gap

Let me know if you want more details. 
Don
Don

DeVille68

nice work.  8)
Mine has good gaps on top but the driver side door carves a bit too much to the inside on the lower rear corner.
I think mine has 3-5 shims on each side.

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

dwbic

Windshield was installed a couple weeks ago.  Started convertible top installation - rear window (curtain) is in place. 

Don
Don

dwbic

Anyone know how this seal installs?  I don't recall how it came off, and none of the clips seem to line up with anything - what am I missing?

Don
Don

DeVille68

Hi Don,

A few years ago I installed Steele Rubber: 70-1578-64
It looks similar but not identical to the one you have bought from OPGI. But I guess it should be close enough.
There are two tabs on each side, as you can see. There should be holes to screw the end pieces down.
I don't remember if you have to lift the weatherstrip of the door window glass in order to slip the front bow weatherstrip underneath it.
Along the bow there should also be holes. If your top is working you could test fit it with tape and check that the seal is more towards the front of the chrome windshield piece.

I will look for pictures if you continue to have difficulties.

Best regards,
Nicolas

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

dwbic

An update after a long period of frustration, but beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was unable to get the convertible top installed and looking good after months of trial and error.  I finally had to give up and have arranged for an experienced professional installer to do the job in June of this year.

I had the engine running decent and then one day it would not start - the culprit was eventually found to be a faulty distributor.  As a result I decided to upgrade to an HEI ignition.  Installed an MSD system and the engine now starts and runs reliably. 

Part of the wiring harness was melted and after spending too much time troubleshooting I decided to rewire the vehicle with a new harness.  That is now complete and things are working well. 

I put the car together without a roof so I can at least drive it with the top down for the time being.  I also just received my new tires - I think they look great.  Here are a few pictures as it sits today. 

Don

Don

hornetball

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bentley

The car looks great Don. I've enjoyed following your blog over these last couple of years. It's nice to see how the car is finally coming together.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

dwbic

Thanks Bentley. 

Completed the exhaust this week and did a little needed tuning on the carburetor.  The weather was nice, so I was able to take my wife out for a ride.  The car is really quiet and the ride is excellent - rides like a Cadillac!

Here is the best photo of the car taken so far.  Lots of little details yet to do, but at least it's driveable. 

Don
Don

savemy67

Hello Don,

Really looks nice!  How about another 3/4 photo, but outside in the sun?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

James Landi

BOLD AND DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL--- congratulations on your color choices--  Bellissimo James

dwbic

Quote from: savemy67 on April 20, 2019, 09:48:38 AM
Hello Don,

Really looks nice!  How about another 3/4 photo, but outside in the sun?

Christopher Winter

Here are a couple shots out in the sun.

Don
Don

spolij

dwbic Try getting the door handle bolts on a 66 deville. >:D