News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'59 Cadillac Interior Metal Trim Cleaning

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, October 28, 2016, 04:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

Good afternoon!!
Cleaning up trim pieces . 
Here's my question with regard to what I think are headliner interior trim pieces (2)  for the front and rear .
There's a sticky gray substance that's relatively easy to remove with finger nail, a stiff rag and spirits. However, there's some black material (looks like dried POR15) on the opposite side that might very well not show when installed but I have the urge to make it go away. My above method does not put a dent in it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Bill Rodwick 
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

savemy67

Hello Bill,

You could try something stronger than mineral spirits, like acetone.  Maybe try it in a small spot.  If acetone doesn't dissolve the coating, I would leave it be, if it does not show when installed.  That hard a coating may make for good protection.  Just a thought.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

BillR. CLC # 29203

Christopher,
As usual thanks for your reply.
I believe I will do as you suggest once I'm sure the black substance streak won't show. I will clean and AustoSol polish the "business side" and do my best on the back side.
This trip I brought back 28 pieces of trim thinking that once I unwrapped them they'd be dinged or worse. Of the 28 only found one minor scratch that I am pretty sure I can tweak.
The owner and her husband, previous to my son, must have garaged it and parked smart.
Thanks. 
Bill Rodwick   
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window