News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gravel chip paint repair

Started by kevinanderson, May 11, 2017, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinanderson

Has anyone used one of the chip repair paint kits? I have about a dozen  gravel pits on the hood of a '76 CDV and don't care to repaint the nose. Thanks.
Kevin

fishnjim

If you're talking about the ones advertised on TV, no.   They're mostly for two coats systems, that they didn't have in your year.
I've always used a touch up bottle and then lightly sand flush 400 to 2000 and machine compound buff.  They make a special razor tool to shave the excess flush, but I'm just careful.   Best to get them right away before they start to rust.   If you're color isn't available in touch up, then they can mix a pint of acrylic enamel and use a disposable model brush.   Several coats will fill it proud.   Prep first with prepsol or 50:50 VMP naptha/mineral spirits.   If it's rusty or edges flakey, then you may have to do a more through repair operation.