News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

I found my luck! (maybe)

Started by Roger Zimmermann, May 02, 2017, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Gerard! As you know, the GE is not sure at all. Anyway, I bought a more recent car to be able to participate at such event with less stress.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

bcroe

Good luck.  Last time I got a stored car into first class service took me
3 full time months (OK I am slow).  More often I get the brakes, tires,
mastered locks, and timing chain done immediately to be roadable, then
do lessor stuff (radiator, hoses, wiring, suspension, and accessory
upgrades, bearings, belts, SS exhaust, etc) along the way.  Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

Awesome Cadillac, the 1971, 2 and 3's are my favorite Cadillac closed car style. 

Second on what Bruce wrote, timing chain, trans, breaks and add just about everything rubber.

Green is good because green cars are not on the road much, makes it unique and visible to other drivers.  I have a "Patina Silver" 1970 SDV, and if it were not for the dark blue vinyl top, it would blend in a little too much for me with modern traffic.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Roger Zimmermann

Of course, the timing gears/chain were on the list of things to do. Brian saw also a bad eccentric for the fuel pump, rear engine support and many little things which were replaced. Mechanically, it should be like a new car.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

On July 18, the car arrived at the Swiss customs in Zürich. At about 2 PM, the man who arranged the shipping and me went with a trailer to load the car. If the drive to Zürich went well (less than 2 hours drive), the drive back to Bienne was another matter: when we drove over 60 km/h, (about 38MPH), the trailer began to swing! Due to the shape of the front bumper, the car was not forward enough, plus the trunk was full of material! After a while, we left the freeway to take "normal" roads. We were lucky: a few miles after the freeway exit we used, a small truck went in fire. The delay to cross this incident was 1 1/2 hour! Even with our rather slow pace, we arrived safely in Bienne at the man's shop. Anyway, it was a long day as I got home at 8 PM.

And the car? Well, I can say it's in a good shape. Sure, there are here or there some imperfections, but this is an original car not repainted, except for the hood (and it shows it: the color is a tad different…). In other words, I'm happy!

Now, the man you see in one of the pictures will let install the new tires which were in the trunk, check for the front end alignement and do what's needed to get the car licensed. Maybe I can drive it at the end of next week!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

Congratulations, Roger, Popeye looks great!
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Roger,

Congratulations....looks like a real nice find. Also it has the hard to find right side mirror

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Ralph! In the actual trafic situation, I'm indeed glad to have that mirror.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Big Fins

I have a plot of ground that I use to rent space for RV and boat parking. Many of the people that come in have these monstrous hitch connections that incorporate sway bars in them. Until a year ago, I'd never seen this. One man explained to me that on some of the larger RV's, the tongue weight on the towing vehicle wasn't always heavy enough to stop the trailer sway at speed.

With this hitch, he said he could tow the RV at 70 mph and it would sit rock steady behind him. Prior to the anti-sway hitch he said over 45 mph would cause him problems and even worse on windy days or when semi truck would blast by him.

The first time I ever towed a car was a couple of years ago. I was told not to look at the car in the mirror. I did a few times and watched it bouncing and swaying, but never felt a thing in the truck I was using to tow it with. Still I just ran up the right lane at 60 mph.
Thanks Geoff!  ;)
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Big Fins

Quote from: 35-709 on July 20, 2019, 09:59:23 AM
;D  Any time I can help!

8)  Maybe I'll be able to pay it back sometime. You have my number and go by here all the time.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

G Pennington

Roger,
Rule of thumb is tounge weight should be 10% to 15% of the loaded trailer weight.  That's going to work out to around 600 lbs to 1000 lbs of tounge weight, which probably going to need an equalizer hitch if you are pulling it with a 1/2 ton Surburban.
Gary Pennington
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thankfully the vehicle got to the destination without damage.

Using a tandem axle trailer, the tongue weight doesn't need to be that high, but the biggest problem I saw with this loading was all the weight in the trunk.   Really give the pendulum effect to the towing mass.

Too much weight on the tongue will raise the front of the towing vehicle, thus making for an uneven loading.

Plus, with radials on the towing vehicle, plus radials on the trailer, once sideways movement starts, it would be hard to control.

I always recommend Cross Ply tyres on a trailer.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DeVille68

Nice Roger!
What happened to the emblems on the hood? Had you removed them such that they not get stolen?

Gruess
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: DeVille68 on July 21, 2019, 02:22:11 AM
Nice Roger!
What happened to the emblems on the hood? Had you removed them such that they not get stolen?

Thanks Nicolas! Yes, it was recommended by the man who arranged the shipping. The parts were into the trunk and will be installed again. Same procedure with the wheelcovers.
If you are coming to the 2-days meeting at the end of August, you will see it.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 20, 2019, 08:50:25 PM

Using a tandem axle trailer, the tongue weight doesn't need to be that high, but the biggest problem I saw with this loading was all the weight in the trunk.   Really give the pendulum effect to the towing mass.

Bruce, the man who towed the car is well equipped and he towing cars on a regular basis. On the same trailer, he can load a '59 Cadillac and drive much faster because the front overhang is smaller, therefore the car is a tad more forwards. Plus, as you noted, the heavy weight in the trunk (56 kg just for both brake drums and both rotors, plus 4 new tires and numerous various items.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

One of my motivation to let overhaul the car in the USA was the timing sprockets. I asked Brian to put the assembly into the trunk to have a good view from those parts. Indeed the nylon sprocket is looking like new, but how long? I'm glad I did the move!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Always a good idea to change items like that out, for piece of mind. Hope the new-old car drives well and meets with your expectations Roger! Good luck with your August drive and meet. Clay