News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

72 Eldorado Windshield Wiper Switch Mount Question

Started by boseephuss, May 11, 2017, 06:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boseephuss

I am currently in the process of fixing a few little things on the car, one of which is the absence of the wiper switch and mount.  After taking the upper door panel off, I can see that there is indeed a pass through for the cable, but they, for whatever reason, covered it when upholstery work was done.

I was able to source a replacement, but the unit seems to attach to the upper panel with screws, and I see no pre-existing holes for the attachment.

Can anyone shed some light on to how the mount attaches to the door panel?  thanks!
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

boseephuss

Just circling back on this.  I am happy to provide pictures as well if that helps jog anyone's memory!
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

The Tassie Devil(le)

I apologise for not replying sooner, but I don't have any pictures of the part to show (surprise suprise).

But, the plastic "holder is screwed to the upper door trim via four flathead screws if my memory serves me correct.

The wiring loom has to be passed through the top trim before securing the switch holder.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

boseephuss

Yes, I will just have to see if I can find the original holes I suppose from where they recovered it.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will have to remove the top section of the door cover, above the arm rest.

NOTE.  TAKE CARE IN REMOVING THE SCROLLED COVERS.   They are held in place with a pin at one end, and a spring at the other end.   Try and force them, and the pin WILL break.

To remove it, you have to carefully remove the end covers at each end of the door pull, and this reveals two large phillips headed screws that retain the spring steel door pull.

Remove these, and there is most probably a screw at each end, at the lowest point of the cover, and once you have unscrewed the lock knob, you will be able to lift up the cover.   The view from the backside of this cover should show you where the holes are.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

boseephuss

Thanks!

I managed to remove the top panel.  When it was installed, the hole where the cable pass through SHOULD have been was covered.  I removed 4 screws (which were all exposed) and the door strap (decorative caps were missing, which I have recently sourced) and was able to lift the upper panel off.  Upon inspection, there was a circular cutout (maybe 1.5-2" diameter) but I don't recall seeing pre-existing holes for the screws.  I should be up to the garage tonight or tomorrow and will get right to checking it out.

Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

boseephuss

So I guess I just wasn't looking, but I did find the holes for the screws to mount to.  Now I just need to poke holes in the leather for the scres and the cable to feed through.  Here is to hoping the wiring is resting in the bottom of the door, just waiting to be fished out!

Thanks again for the help.  This community has been great!
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Justin,

Yes, the wiring should be there, and you might be able to see it by looking down inside the door, with the window down.

PS.   You have an email from me that requires your attention.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

boseephuss

Should be fixed.  I apologize for the oversight.

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 19, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
G'day Justin,

Yes, the wiring should be there, and you might be able to see it by looking down inside the door, with the window down.

PS.   You have an email from me that requires your attention.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216