News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Ed Cholakian, 1935–2024
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 10:55:10 AM
We first met Ed in Spring 1985 at a SoCal CLC show in Long Beach(?) CA.  Believe he was driving an older sedan delivery that could carry parts & a table in the back.

Would also periodically see him hauling Cadillacs around the area.

RIP Ed
General Discussion / Re: Ed Cholakian, 1935–2024
Last post by Jeff Hansen - Today at 10:16:10 AM
I don't recall exactly when I met Ed, but I got to know him when he and I were both on the CLC Board of Directors.  When the Las Vegas Region hosted their first Grand National in 2009, Ed held an open house at his home and business which are located together on one property in Vegas.  The invitation was for adults only, please, no children.  I was present for that Grand National with my wife and two kids (aged 9 and 14 at the time).  I had planned not to attend the event to honor Ed's request of no kids.  Ed called me and asked why I had not signed up for the event.  When I explained that I had my kids with me, Ed announced, "Jeff, your children are welcome in my home anytime."  How could I refuse?  Ed welcomed all four of us with open arms. He was a winner in my book from that experience.

And, oh my gosh, the parts!  At that open house, we were free to wander the aisles.  The parts that were present and available would rival any Cadillac dealer - and put many to shame.

Ed, thank you for the kindness you have shown me and my family over the years.  As Barry mentioned, Ed, you will be sorely missed.

Jeff
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1975 Order Codes
Last post by jagbuxx #12944 - Today at 10:08:57 AM
If you are referring to the order code that is on the window sticker I think that is that dealers sequential order for the Eldorados they ordered-I'm guessing a large dealer to have ordered 741 Eldorados for the year(coupe & convertible). For coupe deVille it would have an order # of J0xxx and so on....
I can't say anything about value, but I'd keep it.
I am a purist in many many ways, but add on ac is something I can deal with. I'm in St. Louis and I'd put a system like that on my car in a heartbeat.
It's period correct, and dealer installed so it's a yes for me.

Jeff
A few vintage Caddies have their original dealer installed
Mark IV AC systems which were a dealer add-on option.
Is it advisable from a collector standpoint to keep these original
systems intact since its part of the car's history?
This car still has the BOS for the AC system.
Thanks.
Technical / Authenticity / 1975 Order Codes
Last post by Richf1966 - Today at 08:48:02 AM
Can someone please enlighten me on order codes that are listed on the window sticker. My 75' Eldorado convertible was built in November of 1974. The cowl tag states it was the 2370 eldorado built of the 8950 produced in 75'. I have read the production started in September of 74' for the 75' model year. So mine was built 3 months into the model year which makes sense since is number 2370.

I have seen an order code for an Eldorado with the code (E0741) and that vehicle was number 8684 off the assembly line. That puts it way late into the production year, almost the very end actually, 8684 of 8950.

Does anyone know what my order code would roughly be?
Does anyone know how to decipher a code such as E0741?

TIA
Technical / Authenticity / Re: Chrome door lock knobs don...
Last post by Lexi - Today at 08:20:53 AM
MickeyCaddy, I have not yet had an opportunity to go to my storage and check for those buttons, but have not forgot. Hope to get there by the weekend. Life has been throwing curves at me lately. Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Re: 1951 Caddy daily driver
Last post by Mowerhoarder - Today at 08:04:06 AM
Cadman,
I confirmed that the switches have a good ground and that they are working as intended but I believe that the middle wire for the dome light is broken or otherwise messed up somewhere in the harness. I think I'm just gonna ignore it because the headliner is super brittle and I really don't want to break it. I'm thinking maybe the switch in the b pillar has something to do with it but not sure yet, I'm gonna grab one soon from the hardware store and throw that in and see what happens.
General Discussion / Re: Antifreeze lifespan
Last post by James Landi - Today at 07:42:53 AM
While the "acid test" is one important element, in my limited experience with 2 dozen or so decades' old GM 8 cyc
cylinder engines, I found only a couple to be acidic. In my experience dealing with decades' old, well used Cadillacs, the hidden demon is radiator scale and engine block rust particles... the culprits rear their ugly head during summer weather  extended driving when you get stuck in traffic.  I've had several radiators blow out their side tanks in such driving conditions, and this hazard is not limited to those cars with barely glowing idiot lights... one of my '56 SDVs burnt exhaust valves when the temperature gauge was at the halfway point... removal of the head revealed that the water jackets were clogged around the two cylinders whose exhaust valves failed.  So de scaling the radiator, aggressively flushing the engine block, plus an inline coolant filter would provide "peace of mind" regarding old cooling systems.   
Dear all,

Just a quick question. Installing new brakes on a '66 Eldorado (inc. new lines and hoses). When installing the rear brake hose I assumed that it needed a copper washer between the male end of the hose and the t-junction on the rear axle. But when tightening, the connection bottoms out well before the copper washer is crushed. Now I am in doubt if this is the correct hose. I ordered from Rockauto. Hoses from other vendors appear to be the same.
Unfortunately I cannot find the old hose anymore (most likely threw it in the garbage).
Male end of hose is about 1/2 inch.
Does this look right to you guys or will this leak faster than I can poor in brake fluid?  :).