News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Turn Signal and Brake light Issue

Started by Coupe Deville, June 26, 2013, 02:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curly

The only problem I had when I pulled the steering wheel on my 59 was the horn wire is in the center of the shaft and I couldn't place my puller there.  What I did was loosen the shaft nut and back it off, but I left it in place. I then took a socket (forget the size, whatever fits) turned it upside down and rested it on the nut.  I put the center of the puller in the back of the socket and then used the puller like I normally would. When the wheel broke free, I took the puller off and removed the nut and the wheel lifted right off.

My car had the boyne style switch referenced above.  I removed it from the car to clean it. This was time consuming because the hole for the wires is fractionally smaller than the connector.  I took my time and cussed a lot and finally got it out.  When I opened the switch the contacts were obviously burned/corroded.  I cleaned them with a small file and gently tweaked the brass strips with needle nose pliers to improve the connection. Finally, I packed the switch with dielectric grease and reassembled everything.  Everything works as it should except the dash indicators both flash when I signal. Exterior lights work as designed, so I let go.

T Lewis

Coupe Deville

Thank you very much. I had the same problem on my 59. Both dash indicators flashed at the same time. I fixed it by replacing the flasher under the dash. Just a thought.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"