News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'47 Sedan - Vent Window Post Moldings

Started by 6262, February 19, 2019, 04:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

Thanks Nils - I appreciate the information . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Quote from: Dexfoster on July 17, 2019, 10:35:19 PM
Ive got those parts i believe i know i have a complete car i just sold the flathead out of. My number is 2108420373 if your interested.
John

Hi John,

you did not answer my emails. Did you get them? Do I understand you right, you do not want to remove the part from the parts car?

Thanks,

Nils
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

John does not want to sell anymore...  ::) If someone else has the item....
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I guess I am unsure exactly where the original parts stand but it is highly unlikely to ever find a good set of these with the glass run channel in good shape.  If you did they would be in a very good original car so they would never be parted out.  The good news is these can be restored to be like new with relative ease.  Start by removing all of the rubber and existing glass run channels from the division bar.  Keep a record of exactly how the glass channel and rubber were installed.  Have the steel core plated and note to the plater what shows and what is down in the door.  Also plating thickness should be minimized in the section where the glass channel fits.  These are steel parts so no matter the condition they should be fixable.  Worst case as I said before these are quite generic so if you have the original division bar many models of this vintage can be modified to work if you have the originals to copy from.  New glass run channel is available for RS&S in both the stainless steel beaded type which goes on the top and the plain wider type that goes on the bottom The bottom type adds more stability to the glass.  There are some tricks to attaching these.  There is also rubber with tabs that fit on the top of the division bar that the vent window seals to.  They are is available from Steele.  Picture attached of an old division bar and the new glass channel from RS&S.  I do not at this time have a completed unit not in a car to show how it looks, but both cosmetically and functionally it is as good as new. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Bill Ingler #7799

Have you tried Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix.  They have 2 yards in Phoenix.  Bill

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on August 03, 2019, 03:01:39 PM
I guess I am unsure exactly where the original parts stand but it is highly unlikely to ever find a good set of these with the glass run channel in good shape.  If you did they would be in a very good original car so they would never be parted out.  The good news is these can be restored to be like new with relative ease.  Start by removing all of the rubber and existing glass run channels from the division bar.  Keep a record of exactly how the glass channel and rubber were installed.  Have the steel core plated and note to the plater what shows and what is down in the door.  Also plating thickness should be minimized in the section where the glass channel fits.  These are steel parts so no matter the condition they should be fixable.  Worst case as I said before these are quite generic so if you have the original division bar many models of this vintage can be modified to work if you have the originals to copy from.  New glass run channel is available for RS&S in both the stainless steel beaded type which goes on the top and the plain wider type that goes on the bottom The bottom type adds more stability to the glass.  There are some tricks to attaching these.  There is also rubber with tabs that fit on the top of the division bar that the vent window seals to.  They are is available from Steele.  Picture attached of an old division bar and the new glass channel from RS&S.  I do not at this time have a completed unit not in a car to show how it looks, but both cosmetically and functionally it is as good as new.

Thanks a lot Brad. Half of the items are missing. If nothing else works we have to try this.

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on August 03, 2019, 03:42:23 PM
Have you tried Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix.  They have 2 yards in Phoenix.  Bill

Good hint, Bill. I will contact them.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

If you have one of each type (1 front, 1 rear) and send me a picture of each and the length I can check and see if some of the early 40's stuff I have could be used.  Send pictures directly to brad@ipsengarage.com.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Quote from: Brad Ipsen CLC #737 on August 05, 2019, 10:01:41 PM
If you have one of each type (1 front, 1 rear) and send me a picture of each and the length I can check and see if some of the early 40's stuff I have could be used.  Send pictures directly to brad@ipsengarage.com.

Thanks Brad, I will do it.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville