News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado Gold Key Blanks ???

Started by just4fun, November 25, 2008, 11:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just4fun

The keys I received with my car are hardware store blanks...YUK. Considering the low mileage on this car, I'd like to have cadillac crest key blanks to cut and wonder if cadillac did a set of Gold keys with insignia for 1978 or at least Chrome with insignia ??? Also wonder which letter code blanks I would need ??? Thanks fo any help !

Rich
Rich Romanowski

joecaristo

Hi,
For a 1978 I've never seen an original set of keys in gold. I think they only came in chrome with the Cadillac crest on one side. You would need code J for the ignition and K for the trunk, doors, and glove box. Thats if the ignition cylinder and other cylinders were never replaced with a different year. (I've heard of that before) I've attached a picture of a 1977 key. They all look the same but a code E is for a 1977. I always see them for sale on Ebay. Should run you about 20 bucks or so for a set. Hope this helps.
Joe
Joe Caristo

TJ Hopland

I had (or maybe still have) a set of gold keys that have a crest on them.  I never looked that close to see if it was the 'official' crest but at a glance it looked correct. Got them as a gift back when I got my first caddy so I dont know where they came from.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

just4fun

Thanks for the input ! Every time I look at my keys I think I'm driving a Vega...lol.

Rich
Rich Romanowski

Johnny

85 Eldos came with 2 sets of uncut gold keys.

Ted in Olympia WA

I saw a 78 Eldo the other day (the two tone brown ones) that had the gold package on the exterior chrome.  I did not know they actually made these.  I did not look at the key but I bet maybe this one would of had the gold key.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.