News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cannot access forum.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, February 15, 2024, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Quote from: 69Deville on February 23, 2024, 12:28:34 AMStefan,

Here is an example of an old bookmark that I had saved that no longer works.
https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=169398.0

Here is the link for this thread/topic.
https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?topic=174126.0

The old site url is different. If you enter it into your browser, it redirects for the home page, but not for any other pages.
Yes, there is still an issue with the redirection. basically, I expected that the oldwebsite + topic info would get directed to the new site. It seems that the redirection is getting messed up somehow when there is something more than just the old site URL. i am researching this further.
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 23, 2024, 09:25:58 AMThe message I'm getting is:

"This site can't provide a secure connection."
forums.cadillaclasalle.club sent an invalid response.

- There are no typos in the above - it is exact. (Disregard whatever I wrote previously - that was done from memory)

If I reboot my modem, connection can usually be reestablished but it is only temporary- ranging from 15 minutes to eight hours.

Some days, rebooting will not work at all no matter how many times attempted. Connection will also be lost in the middle of a session when I go to another page while surfing within the forum. Oftentimes, connectivity will be lost when returning to the forum from another website. Sometimes not.

I've been using the same url link throughout.

I am not getting the 404 "Page Not Found" message any longer.
I am still doing what I can to find out what is happening, but everything I have seen to date points to something at your end. Especially since a modem reset allows you to work for a while. It is almost as if the router/modem is getting some kind of security information from the network, after it has been reset. But I am not giving up on this, and will keep plugging away.
Another question, when you use your mobile phone, are you using cellular data or the WiFi in your home? if the cellular data, can you try the WiFi connection, after you get the 'secure connection' message on your computer.
Finally, when you are getting the error again, please try the tracert commands and capture the resukt.

TIA
Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: sbartelski on February 24, 2024, 05:56:24 PMI am still doing what I can to find out what is happening, but everything I have seen to date points to something at your end. Especially since a modem reset allows you to work for a while. It is almost as if the router/modem is getting some kind of security information from the network, after it has been reset. But I am not giving up on this, and will keep plugging away.
Another question, when you use your mobile phone, are you using cellular data or the WiFi in your home? if the cellular data, can you try the WiFi connection, after you get the 'secure connection' message on your computer.
Finally, when you are getting the error again, please try the tracert commands and capture the resukt.

TIA
Stefan

It's the cellular data that I have to use in order to access the forum. If I change phone settings to my own Wi-Fi network, the connection will be lost. I'm not sure if this answers your question.

I'll try the diagnostic tool you suggested.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

tluke

Jeff, I too have Comcast (called XFinity for home internet). I've had several issues connecting to other applications and devices. Comcast is usually the name for business internet so I don't know how much the two services are the same but here are two things (both related to Xfinity's very stringent security features) I had to do to get things to work consistently:

1) I had an issue connecting my Lennox smart thermostat and the Lennox app.  Lennox Helpline had me assign the devices to a 'group', which for me was 'Household.' At the time of the issue my computer and phone were already assigned to Household but the thermostat was unassigned. Lennox told me an unassigned device was a known issue for connectivity problems. In the Xfinity app on my phone I did that by clicking on the WiFi icon along the bottom and then clicking the device and Choosing "Assign". It solved the problem immediately.
2) Second issue I had was with some streaming devices and that was solved by turning off "Advanced Security". Again that was done in the Xfinity app, clicking the Security icon along the bottom and clicking the "Advanced Security" option, then turning it off. It gives you all sorts of warnings about how your life will end if you turn it off but I did anyway. It's worth a try since your error message has to do with not being able to provide a secure connection, your original post mentioned you have a "secure private network" and also since Advanced Security is a learning application that tailors itself to get "better" over time.
It only takes a few seconds to disable it and you can turn it back on later if it doesn't make any difference but it worked for me. If it does work you can call Comcast and tell them how deactivating Advanced Security solved the problem. Maybe you'll get an agent this time who help this time but if not ask to escalate the call to the next level support and maybe they can solve the issue and still have Advanced Security turned on.

Good luck
1955 Cadillac Series 75
1957 Continental Mark II
1986 Ford F250

Quote from: tluke on February 26, 2024, 08:58:24 PMJeff, I too have Comcast (called XFinity for home internet). I've had several issues connecting to other applications and devices. Comcast is usually the name for business internet so I don't know how much the two services are the same but here are two things (both related to Xfinity's very stringent security features) I had to do to get things to work consistently:

1) I had an issue connecting my Lennox smart thermostat and the Lennox app.  Lennox Helpline had me assign the devices to a 'group', which for me was 'Household.' At the time of the issue my computer and phone were already assigned to Household but the thermostat was unassigned. Lennox told me an unassigned device was a known issue for connectivity problems. In the Xfinity app on my phone I did that by clicking on the WiFi icon along the bottom and then clicking the device and Choosing "Assign". It solved the problem immediately.
2) Second issue I had was with some streaming devices and that was solved by turning off "Advanced Security". Again that was done in the Xfinity app, clicking the Security icon along the bottom and clicking the "Advanced Security" option, then turning it off. It gives you all sorts of warnings about how your life will end if you turn it off but I did anyway. It's worth a try since your error message has to do with not being able to provide a secure connection, your original post mentioned you have a "secure private network" and also since Advanced Security is a learning application that tailors itself to get "better" over time.
It only takes a few seconds to disable it and you can turn it back on later if it doesn't make any difference but it worked for me. If it does work you can call Comcast and tell them how deactivating Advanced Security solved the problem. Maybe you'll get an agent this time who help this time but if not ask to escalate the call to the next level support and maybe they can solve the issue and still have Advanced Security turned on.

Good luck

Thanks for that information. Do you know whether it's possible to disable the advanced security feature for the CLC Forum alone? 

60eldo

Hey, Im in Toronto canada, and I cant access the site like I used to. And if you google lets say 1959 cadillac muffler and you see coments from this club and click on it   404 comes up.
Jon. Kluczynski

Jason Edge

Quote from: 60eldo on February 27, 2024, 12:23:07 PMHey, Im in Toronto canada, and I cant access the site like I used to. And if you google lets say 1959 cadillac muffler and you see coments from this club and click on it  404 comes up.

As I had noted in a previous reply there is a quick workaround if you change the URL by removing the .org and moving the period behind the .club.  Underlying problem is things have been moved and Google takes a while to update its indexes.

So...

When I tried to google "1959 Cadillac Muffler" I came up with this link:
https://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=172460.0

I deleted the .org and put the period behind .club and get this link that works:
https://forums.cadillaclasalle.club/index.php?topic=172460.0
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 23, 2024, 08:34:49 PMI changed it to forum. No difference. 

"This site can't provide a secure connection"

forum.cadillaclasalle.club sent an invalid response.

Forums (plural) is the only thing that works with my cell phone. When I use forum (singular) with the phone, it too gives me an error message.
This is actually very strange, since forum.cadillaclasalle.club should give you a DNS error (not found). If you get the secure connection message, there is probably something wrong with your network. My guess is that you might have issues getting connected to a name server?

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

Quote from: sbartelski on February 27, 2024, 05:43:40 PMThis is actually very strange, since forum.cadillaclasalle.club should give you a DNS error (not found). If you get the secure connection message, there is probably something wrong with your network. My guess is that you might have issues getting connected to a name server?

Stefan

"Forum" (singular) gives the following:

This site can't be reached

Check if there is a typo in forum.cadillaclasalle.club.

So everything is as it should be on that front. I've only been using forums... (plural)

This morning I rebooted the modem (as usual) and the forum was been working ever since after leaving and re-loading the forum page multiple times. But lasting for one day has happened before. If it works tomorrow morning without having to reboot the modem, that may be a sign that it's clearing up.

J. Gomez

Quote from: sbartelski on February 27, 2024, 05:43:40 PMThis is actually very strange, since forum.cadillaclasalle.club should give you a DNS error (not found). If you get the secure connection message, there is probably something wrong with your network. My guess is that you might have issues getting connected to a name server?

Stefan

Stefan,

Actually the first URL with the (.org) does give the error 404 "Page not found" while the one with (.club) goes through.

I did a trace route on both (you can see the results on the attach file Note I removed the first 6 hops for my security) the (.org) is somehow route over to the Atlanta while the (.club) is route to the North West correctly.

I'm not sure where the CLC main server is hosted from so hope this should help you in identified the issues folks are having.

So the (.org) only works for the main main CLC site but not for the forum but the strange thing is https://cadillaclasalleclub.org/ is trace to the same route to Atlanta end so it seems "forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org"  is not correctly registered.  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Stefan

After working perfectly all day yesterday, connection failed again this morning:

"This site can't provide a secure connection

forums.cadillaclasalle.club sent an invalid response."

Stefan...did you receive the screenshots I emailed of the tracert results?

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 15, 2024, 08:59:12 PMDepending which link I use, or whether I use my phone (on home network) or the laptop  I'm getting either "404 -Page can't be found" or "connection is not secure" with "cadillaclasalle.forum does not respond" written beneath.

I tried to post an image of the screen but the file was too large.

I spoke with Comcast this morning but they said there is nothing they can do and the fault is not theirs. Being all this started right after the forum went back on line and the fact that others are having the same problems, I tend to agree.

I've also tried three different browsers. I've tried clicking on anything that comes up with the error messages such as "why am I seeing this?" but nothing happens.
Eric, and other Comcast Business users,
I have just heard from Cornerstone Registrations, who run our CLC main site and membership system, that there is an issue when trying to reach Dreamhost servers, the company where our forums software is hosted, if you are using Comcast Business Internet access. This information comes from a senior network engineer at a very large company, so should be pretty reliable. Comcast does not seem to admit to this problem, so getting a resolution could be very difficult. It seems to be something in the Comcast security suite has decided that the Dreamhost servers are "un-safe" and refuses to forward your browser request to the server. Unless you can find an alternative to the Comcast Business service, you may be stuck without being able to reach the forums from your Comcast Business network..
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

Quote from: sbartelski on March 04, 2024, 04:15:05 PMEric, and other Comcast Business users,
I have just heard from Cornerstone Registrations, who run our CLC main site and membership system, that there is an issue when trying to reach Dreamhost servers, the company where our forums software is hosted, if you are using Comcast Business Internet access. This information comes from a senior network engineer at a very large company, so should be pretty reliable. Comcast does not seem to admit to this problem, so getting a resolution could be very difficult. It seems to be something in the Comcast security suite has decided that the Dreamhost servers are "un-safe" and refuses to forward your browser request to the server. Unless you can find an alternative to the Comcast Business service, you may be stuck without being able to reach the forums from your Comcast Business network..

Thanks Stefan. Yes Comcast Business is my internet provider. I'll try to see where I can get with them. This has been frustrating to say the least.

TJ Hopland

So what is the work around to get old links within the site to work?   I was just trying to find and follow a few to help someone and can't seem to make them work.  I see the .club and org thing but there must be some auto population or hidden stuff going on so I'm still not getting there.

I was hoping at least we could type the topic number that we can see in the link into the search and find the topic that way but that don't seem to work either.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on February 23, 2024, 09:25:58 AMThe message I'm getting is:

"This site can't provide a secure connection."
forums.cadillaclasalle.club sent an invalid response.

- There are no typos in the above - it is exact. (Disregard whatever I wrote previously - that was done from memory)

If I reboot my modem, connection can usually be reestablished but it is only temporary- ranging from 15 minutes to eight hours.

Some days, rebooting will not work at all no matter how many times attempted. Connection will also be lost in the middle of a session when I go to another page while surfing within the forum. Oftentimes, connectivity will be lost when returning to the forum from another website. Sometimes not.

I've been using the same url link throughout.

I am not getting the 404 "Page Not Found" message any longer.
Thanks to Mark Wheeler of Cornerstone Registrations, who discovered a solution for the Comcast Business issue. The actual solution has been added to the sticky post (at the top of the forums) about the Comcast Business problem
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 05, 2024, 12:02:46 AMSo what is the work around to get old links within the site to work?  I was just trying to find and follow a few to help someone and can't seem to make them work.  I see the .club and org thing but there must be some auto population or hidden stuff going on so I'm still not getting there.

I was hoping at least we could type the topic number that we can see in the link into the search and find the topic that way but that don't seem to work either.
The 'work around' is no longer needed, we have found a way to make all the old links work. :-D
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

After a very long phone call with technical support at Comcast Business and several up follow up conversations, it appears we've finally got the problem sorted and the CLC Discussion Forum has been working for the past two days- without the need to reboot the modem.

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 13, 2024, 07:48:29 AMAfter a very long phone call with technical support at Comcast Business and several up follow up conversations, it appears we've finally got the problem sorted and the CLC Discussion Forum has been working for the past two days- without the need to reboot the modem.
Thanks for the update, glad that thinmgs seem to be working correctly now. Can you share exactly what was done for the benefit of other Comcast Business users, please?
Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725

Quote from: sbartelski on March 13, 2024, 10:11:24 AMThanks for the update, glad that thinmgs seem to be working correctly now. Can you share exactly what was done for the benefit of other Comcast Business users, please?
Stefan

Stefan...I relayed the information you had given me regarding the problem Comcast Business is having interfacing with the Dreamhost server.

The representative first walked me through the process to set up Security Edge to exclude the CLC discussion forum from the blocked list. No good. He then rebooted my modem remotely thinking this step might be necessary for the Security Edge settings to be recognized. After the reboot, the forum became accessible again but I informed the rep that this doesn't necessarily mean the issue has been resolved because access to the forum is almost always restored (temporarily) after a modem reboot so I would have to speak to him again the following day to verify the whether the forum remained accessible or not. Since he was the only one who had knowledge of the particular situation, it was imperative I speak to him only. I could not call him directly so I asked he call me back. Well, the connection only lasted 15 minutes after I got off the phone with him. When he called back two days later, I told him we're back at square one and the Security Edge changes didn't take. He then escalated the case and the following day I got call from another (higher up) tech support and said he'd see that he can do. Two days later (Monday morning) forum access resumed and haven't had a problem since. Unfortunately I have no idea what they did. 

Thanks so much for the feedback, unfortunate that it does not have an easy solution for others. It just means they have to run the Support Desk gauntlet, never fun, or the drastic solution of turning the Comcast security program off.

Thanks again
Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

470-253-4725