News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939 Series 75 $6500

Started by Bryan J Moran, September 21, 2023, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000 in number only

J. Skelly

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

35-709

Listing says 4 speed Hydramatic transmission which caught my eye since that was not available until 1941, unless someone converted it. Looking through the pics on BAT I see a clutch pedal, ad apparently written by someone not very knowledgeable about those cars and wrote the ad without looking very closely. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/787958509665677/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A549e56c3-1a57-4514-9d64-886746686772

So, I ended up calling the seller Glenn.  No grille or side panels to this 1939 Series 75,  Are these unique to a 75 series 8 cylinder car?  Are these parts unobtainium? 
CLC 35000 in number only

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on November 08, 2023, 02:44:40 PMSo, I ended up calling the seller Glenn.  .......

Was that his real name?   Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tom Boehm

Bryan, I looked up in the Cadillac parts book the parts you asked about. Everything missing is unique to a 1939 series 75. The exception are the chrome side grills on either side of the main grill on the front of the car. These are the same on 1939 series 50, 60s, 61, 75.

I would not call these parts unobtainium but they will not be easy to find. Finding the pot metal chrome grill only gets you halfway there. When you find one it will need to be rechromed. Finding a chrome shop to do it right will be hard. And expensive.

This car will cost more to restore than it will be worth in the end. Engine, paint, and interior will cost 10k each. If you are OK with that, go for it. It will be awesome restored.

Bryan J Moran

Thanks Tom, for your insight.  I know it's wrong priced and very sad that the grille and critical trim is not available.  There is nothing specifically I love about a 1939 series 75 LWB car but I am a 75 series lover. 

It occurs to me in my limited knowledge of the market that these 75 series cars from say, 1937 to about 1958 are either all restored and in nice collections, or are not. 

The ones that are NOT, are not likely to get picked up by the monied folks and handed over to a shop to be restored.  It was about 18 months ago I sincerely inquired about a 1940 ish 75 series on here that was "quite nice" at $18,000 or so.   

It seems odd to say, but there appears to be plenty of "driver" quality 75 series available overall to negate the purchase of the mentioned car here, especially since it is a "pedestrian" V8. 

I am decidedly not a snob, so a 75 is a 75 to me.  Prefer the V8 over a V12 or heaven forbid a V16. 

I just hate to see perfectly restorable (sans grille and trim discussion) 75 series from the pre war era languish without being at least attempted to be restored.  Maybe, I am a hopeless romantic. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

CLC 35000 in number only

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I have the entire nose for this car sitting on the shelf.....BUT....

Because I still drive a 1939 series 75 around and given the craziness of other drivers and the chance of needing that nose.....It would be hard to part with any piece of it.

It's better to have those very hard to find parts and not need them than to need the parts and have to go looking for the unobtainable....

I'm still looking for that pre-war series 75 convertible top frame for my car.....I've found a couple of top frames in the last 4-5 years but they were attached to cars that I couldn't bring myself to tear apart....

Of course the window is closing on the demand for some of the parts I have but....on the other hand.....I'd be glad not to have to go looking for them....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Tom Boehm

Bryan, I agree with your assessment of the situation. I like all late 1930's cars. And it is a shame a lot of restorable cars will not be restored. Given the parts missing, this car is way overpriced. I suspect that car was used as a parts car in the past just like Mike's 75 series convertible sedan. 

Bryan J Moran

Thank you guys for commenting.  It may have been used as a parts car or someone pulled the grille to rechrome.  I think I know where a 1940 series 60S is close to me.  It's in horrific shape, is a factory sunroof car, and I am not sure it would have good grille sides.  I think I have heard those referred to as catwalks or something similar. 

While I appreciate this car looks like a restoration challenge, when I look at the interior, it appears correct and original.  That motor looks pretty good, either rebuilt or low mileage - and complete. 

It does not good that some folks deride these LWB cars. Matt Harwood on the AACA Forum (Harwood Motors) always calls them stodgy old losers (paraphrased but close)   I found a 1 of 50 1949 Imperial limousine for sale and he was aghast that anyone would want such a thing. 

But they really do speak to me as a unique twist on the hobby, when many folks collect or covet convertibles, faster cars or special designs. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Tom Boehm

Matt Harwood has a 1941 Buick series 90 limo in his personal collection. That is one of those "stogy old losers". He must be speaking as a dealer there is not a big demand for prewar limo sedans.

J. Skelly

These are classy cars but where would you safely drive one with no power steering or brakes and all of the crazy, impatient and inattentive drivers out there?
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Lexi

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on November 10, 2023, 10:25:00 AMIt does not good that some folks deride these LWB cars. Matt Harwood on the AACA Forum (Harwood Motors) always calls them stodgy old losers (paraphrased but close)   I found a 1 of 50 1949 Imperial limousine for sale and he was aghast that anyone would want such a thing.

What an asinine comment for anyone to make, especially a car guy. Clearly our hobby is still evolving with many still living in the dark ages. I'm with you Bryan. Clay/Lexi