News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Restoring Emblems From 1937 LaSalle Grille

Started by carlhungness, February 16, 2020, 01:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I just wanted to post photos of Before and After for my '37 LaSalle grille emblem restoration project. Here's the before photos and I haven't mustered up the courage to start whacking on either one of them yet.
       The V-8 emblem has a dent in it, located I believe just where the while flash-dot is on the photo. One of the attaching studs is directly below the flash dot and someone over-tightened the stud thereby causing the thin brass to suck in, causing the depression. The stud itself is of two diameters, I believe it is an 8-32 thread and the base is larger than the stud diameter. Thus, the larger diameter is tight -up close to a vertical stamped line making it well-nigh impossible to get a tool in to nudge the depression out!
     The two grill emblems shown both have depressions on the wings, once again just under the attaching studs.
     One of the emblems is missing a stud and therefore leaves a space to tap the depressed area back into form. I can re-attach a new stud with epoxy if necessary.
     The V-8 emblem is brass, so I understand all it needs is polishing and paint. The paint was vitreous and I believe it has incorrectly been referred to as cloisonne, a process that uses thin silver wires to separate colors.
     I think our badges qualify for the terms champleve or enameled guilloche, terms which utilize vitreous enamels baked on.
      I'm not sure how the top  (winged) badge was plated from the factory so need some advice. I haven't yet found a source to "paint" the badges, so there' a chance I may buy a kiln and try to do the job myself. I have no knowledge of vitreous paint, etc. so there's an opportunity here to expand my knowledge.
      I'm going to attack both badges this week and will post the initial results. I was pretty successful in straightening the lattice work and stainless strips on my hood sides when I thought they were hopeless, but have to admit the emblems have me intimidated.

carlhungness

I forgot to mention removing the center crest from the winged badges shown was an exercise in patience. It is attached with an 8-32 nut and has a tiny locating stud at the top to keep it vertical.
       The nuts on both badges were rusted in place and I was ever so fearful of snapping the stud off when trying to loosen.
       I wound up soaking the emblems in a 50%-50% solution of acetone and transmission fluid for a few weeks. Luckily I was able to remove the nuts without damage to either the stud or the locating stud.
      The nuts on the V-8 emblem posed no problem as someone had already taken taken them off.